A Tale of 5 Wargamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
A Tale of 5 Wargamers

Adventures in Wargaming - 5 very boring individuals record their exploits playing with little men. Favoured rules include (but are not limited to) WFB, WH40k & The Horus Heresy (30k), Epic, Bloodbowl, Infinity, Saga & Flames of War

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

3rd Company Ultramarines

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Don

3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:08 pm

That was about the only thing I mixed, I have an older (end of the previous range of paints) base coat grey, just mixed a bit in with black, then mix a bit more into it for a sort of highlight and then a bit of nuln oil wash over it.

I don't particularly like the look of metals on 40k stuff, doesn't quite feel futuristic enough to me. With the eldar I mixed a lot of white into it to give a sort of silver grey and with the marines I'd like to keep it limited to a few skull decals and the gold chestplates
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:09 pm

Don, for your transfers, try buying this: Micro Set

You'll still need to cut away a bit but it kind of melts the transfer onto the pad. I used it on my test marine I put on here. You can also get micro set as well to go with it.

I linked to antenocities above, but you can grab it off ebay for a few quid.
Back to top Go down
https://taleof5wargamers.forumotion.co.uk
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:12 pm

So you use this on the transfers instead of water?
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:13 pm

Instead of or as well as - it works better instead of. I use Micro Set on the transfer and micro sol over it as it's drying. I apply more coats of Micro Sol if you need to (as it's drying, it sometimes looks like the decal is crinkling up or cracking, but don't worry and don't touch it, that should go when dry), then when it's fully dry and I'm happy, I matt varnish it for protection and to hide any silvering.

It's really good on vehicles too as it makes the transfer fall into the lines and contours of the doors or whatever.

Decent guide here

And video guide here

(and gloss varnishing the surface area before setting the transfer is not necessary, although it does help avoid bubbling as the decal sticks to it better).
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:14 pm

Update time, I've not been slacking, honestly...

1000pts of the Ultramarines 3rd Company, led in person by Captain Ardias

As you will see, I have opted for a mid-campaign look with plenty of armour scuffs where the blue has worn away to reveal the metal beneath. I opted to keep this silver as I don't think the materials of the 40th millennium would be prone to rust.

To add some more dirt I have gone for a dusty approach which ties in well with the urban bases - I don't really like the gloopy brown mud type effects

Captain Ardias
Ultramarine Captain with Artificer armour, Bolt gun, Power fist and Melta bombs
3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 Dsc0359ta
3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 Dsc0360wwun

Command Squad
Command Squad with Medic and Company Champion, 1 Marine with a Power weapon. Transport Razorback with twin linked Heavy Bolters (waiting for those to arrive from Ebay!)
3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 Dsc0345wr
3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 Dsc0347fn

1st Tactical Squad
10 man Tactical squad with flamer and lascannon, Sergeant with Bolt gun and Power fist. Transport Rhino
3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 Dsc0348a

2nd Tactical Squad
10 man Tactical squad with flamer and multi-melta, Sergeant with Bolt gun and Power fist. Transport Rhino
3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 Dsc0351ay
3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 Dsc0353cm

Scout Squad
5 Scouts with Heavy Bolter and 4 Sniper rifles
3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 Dsc0358k

Brother Varosi
Dreadnought with Assault Cannon and Power fist
3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 Dsc0354h
3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 Dsc0356q

The combined force
3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 Dsc0361n

edit: still waiting for dreadnought base too!
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:21 pm

Woah! Sly dog! Looking good, like the weathering from dust on the legs and lower parts of vehicles.

What bases are they? Are they resin or home made?
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:22 pm

The bases are resin and by 616 designs http://stores.ebay.co.uk/616-designs

It was £11.25 for 50 bases, delivered. Only trouble is the guy is currently away so I'm not able to grab the dreadnought base... very good value bases, though not as exciting as some on the market

Secret project revealed Smile
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:27 pm

Crafty bugger! I knew he was being too quiet!

Look very nice, I especially like the rhino. Did you use transfers don?

Inspired me to get the paints out now.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:27 pm

Aye transfers all the way, there was a little hand painting of names but that wasn't too successful really...

What has surprised me is how quick it is to paint marines! Only the command squad really slowed me down
Back to top Go down
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:28 pm

wow - they look ace. You have been busy!

I like the weathering - you've not over done it. The bases are cool too. Nice change to use a more industrial landscape
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:30 pm

Don wrote:

What has surprised me is how quick it is to paint marines! Only the command squad really slowed me down

You would think they are quick, I am not finding that the case..

How long did these take you?
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:43 pm

I guess about 4-5 weeks, though there was a big spree of overtime working so some nights I didn't get any painting done. The Rhinos I started on Friday night and they were finished on Sunday morning, not too bad once you get the order of your colours sorted

I didn't even undercoat anything (even the 1 Rhino that was red) the Blue Base paint went over bare metal, bare plastic, red, blue, black wtv, then a blue wash followed by a new Blue Base that skipped round the corners and details
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:44 pm

That's similar to how I paint my Crimson Fists (only I don't do it as well...!), but it is really easy. Base coat, black wash and an ultramarine blue highlight/edging. Very quick. Most of the fiddling is with transfers and what not.

Keeping the Rhino until I get an airbrush though. It's alot easier to get a smoother coat.

Did you use that Micro Set on the decals?

What's next for 'em?
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:46 pm

I used Macragge blue base and the matching blue wash (the GW washes are bloody brilliant to be fair) and then 2 different layer colours (basically the range of 4 recommended by gw for Ultramarines)

I just used the Transfers with water and made a delicate cut or three to round them over the shoulder pads, I'll spray varnish the whole lot when we get a dry and wind free weekend to help hide the transfer marks

You'll be able to see that my vehicles aren't super smooth, but then I was after a gritty, worn and dusty look so I'm not too worried

Next up is to turn it into a 1750 force, I'm looking at a Landraider, 7 man assault squad with chaplain (the nice figure with a jump pack) and probably a 9 man devastator squad with 4 heavy bolters
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:47 pm

Meant to add...

Would be interesting to see what you guys think of the composition of the 1000pt block and what you think to the composition at 1750. I'm not necessarily picking things that are highly effective as there were some things that I just fancied painting - command squad!
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:56 pm

I like it, but I am a huge fan of dreads and tact marines. Scouts are decent choice with sniper rifles too, just to threaten special and heavy choices in units. Good solid 1k I think.
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:57 pm

Ditto that really, although having seen Dan's Blood Angels in a 1k battle at the weekend, I was wondering if you have a enough to cope with a dedicated close-combat enemy. You certainly have the numbers, but something very choppy choppy might just have enough to keep your command squad tied up as well as take on everything else.
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:57 pm

Choppy choppy! Smile
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:59 pm

Big Jobby choppy!
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:59 pm

Aye defo a concern, plenty of men for taking on objectives and a good amount of ranged firepower but probably a bit weak in combat. An assault squad with jump packs would probably be more use than a command squad, tho with a few power weapons, FNP and more A than a normal assault marine hopefully they can still hold their own... hopefully!

Slow going on the Landraider, been busy at work, but I've got some more done tonight so with a bit of luck will be finished over the w/e. Its only when you start painting it that you realise just how much bigger than a Rhino it is!
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 5:00 pm

Bit of an update, Landraider complete and Dread rebased onto one of the larger 616 designs bases, close up pic below

3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 Dsc0351o
3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 Dsc0352yc
3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 Dsc0350pm
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 5:02 pm

Lovely looking tank, mon. The weathering really suits it. Is it a (dry)brush or sponged?

And what colour(s) did you use for it?

Nice base on the Dredd too - linky linky plse!
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 5:04 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/616-designs/m.html

That is the link for 616 designs, I picked up regular bases, 60mm for the dreads and some 40mm in case I take some terminators. Been happy with them so far and he combines postage so they work out good value

The dust/mud and weathering is really simple and doesn't take long at all - but it does transform a fairly boring tank into something much more exciting

To start I silver up the edges with bolt gun metal, trying to drag front to back (fnar fnar) to make it look as if it had driven into and along things, bashing its sides as it goes along. Then I have an old wash brush that I use for drybrushing, so its pretty knackered, but ideal for stippling on dusty mud. I only use 2 colours, [base] Zandri Dust and then [layer] Baneblade Brown. Just making sure that I wipe off the excess on kitchen towel first and then dab it on

The weathering and dusting probably took about 30 mins tops but it made the tank much more interesting
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 5:04 pm

Cheers for that. Looks very good. I might just try it on my Rhino.
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 5:05 pm

Out of interest did you highlight/edge the blue? Especially on bits you didn't make 'metalled' or scratched.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

3rd Company Ultramarines
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next