A Tale of 5 Wargamers

Adventures in Wargaming - 5 very boring individuals record their exploits playing with little men. Favoured rules include (but are not limited to) WFB, WH40k & The Horus Heresy (30k), Epic, Bloodbowl, Infinity, Saga & Flames of War

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

3rd Company Ultramarines

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:06 pm

Yeah I did, basically the tank had a layer of [base] Macragge Blue then an all over wash of [shade] Drakenhof Nightshade. At this point it looks a bit crappy as it is really patchy and dark, but then I give it another Macragge Blue coat where I try to stay away from the recesses and go around rivets and stuff. After that I use the GW big flat drybrush (I think the flat brush is better for tanks) and give it a fairly generous drybrush of [layer] Altdorf Guard Blue, I'm not too careful with this one and I'm happy to get plenty onto flat areas too. Next comes a light drybrush of [layer] Calgar Blue where I try to only catch edges, there is probably virtually none of this left after I weather it but I do it anyway!

So basically I paint the tank up, shaded and highlighted and then add weathering afterwards. It might be that you could cut out the final drybush of Calgar Blue but it only takes a few minutes so its not worth cutting that corner imo

The big time sink is the 2 coats of Macragge blue, that was when I realised just how much bigger the Landraider is!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:10 pm

Interesting. I was hoping with the darker crimson fist blue on black undercoat I could get away with a lighter drybrush and just do an edging highlight. Bit quicker that way.

Painting tanks and big vehicles is fun!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://taleof5wargamers.forumotion.co.uk
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:10 pm

Yeah I'd think you could just apply your dark colour straight over black and avoid the recesses/rivets etc then highlight. Crimson fists being a lot darker, the black shade will be fine, but with Ultramarines I wanted the dark shade to be a very dark blue rather than black. I also used my first coat as a hand painted base coat, I just painted right over metal, plastic or wtv colour was below - so especially with stuff that was red previously it was important to get blue right into the recesses. I'm just being tight not buying black spray!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unk

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:11 pm

Very impressive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:11 pm

Update time, whilst I'm waiting for the glue to dry properly before I paint the bases I figured I'd pop up progress of an Assault Squad

I have a few more pics this time showing the various stages, not that interesting but out of a sense of completeness...

1st stage, Macragge Blue slapped on, no undercoating!

2nd Stage, all over wash of Drakenhof Nightshade

3rd Stage, blacked out all the metal areas and added the main Macragge Blue coat

Almost done, just the bases to go (and a couple of transfers!!)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:12 pm

Based...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:15 pm

Wow - very nice. I feel like you painted them about as quickly as I looked at the photos!

EDIT: Just looked at the pictures of the Land Raider too - very nice. Weathering has a real nice look to it. I think you've done just the right amount too - when I see some photos people have gone ott with the weathering. I think the colour of the tank helps it stand out a bit too - but it does look very good
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unk

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:16 pm

ffs, your doing this to make us look bad, slow down goddamit!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Don

I can't help it once I get started!

I found it impossible to motivate myself when I just had 5 men done, as soon as I got a full squad on the shelf it inspired me. The tanks are a bit like that too, once you have a batch of them done it really feels like you have made progress
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Don

Chaplain complete, Black and Gold have to be my least favourite colours to paint..

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:18 pm

Very nice! Have you weathered him? His lower right leg looks a bit like you have.

How much have you got left to do now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:18 pm

Aye, weathered the same as the others, layer of dust around the lower legs

Not sure what else to do now tbh, with this assault squad, landraider and the chaplain the force is 1500pts now....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unk

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:19 pm

Looks good. How did you do the black in the end? Might be the photo, he almost looks like got a tint of blue?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:19 pm

I mixed Macragge Blue into Black for the main coat, I did try to add 2 lighter coats but I didn't think it had worked, maybe it did!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:20 pm

Seems to have worked - he looks good. I'll have to do my model of him and see if it comes out similar.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:20 pm

It's been a long time since the 3rd company got an update!

Centurions with Grav cannon and Amp, no armour plates yet

I balanced the top plates on for this pic and you can see his belt plates leaning against the marine to the side
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:21 pm

Big beasties them - They look a bit of a pain to put together an' all. Still undecided on their look, but great effort getting them together and basecoated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   

Back to top Go down

3rd Company Ultramarines
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3