A Tale of 5 Wargamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
A Tale of 5 Wargamers

Adventures in Wargaming - 5 very boring individuals record their exploits playing with little men. Favoured rules include (but are not limited to) WFB, WH40k & The Horus Heresy (30k), Epic, Bloodbowl, Infinity, Saga & Flames of War

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

3rd Company Ultramarines

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Don

3rd Company Ultramarines Empty
PostSubject: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 2:19 pm

Starting to have a think about my next project! I quite fancy a marine battle company, mid campaign, so with a weathered look. The Ultra Marine 2nd company has gold trims which I really don't like, whereas the 5th has silver/grey trims, plus I think the V will be easy to paint on!

Has anybody got a copy of Insignium Astartes (I think that's what it is called) so I can get some more ideas for campaign markings and squad symbols?
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 2:20 pm

I've been looking at a side project too! Marines would be agood choice. Not got the Insignium, but I know the Codex has bits and bobs in it that might help. Good things about the Ultramarines is that they're rigid to the founding and their markings are completely standard.
Back to top Go down
https://taleof5wargamers.forumotion.co.uk
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 3:59 pm

Not got the book, sorry.

The pre-heresy miniatures are rather gorgeous. Rather expensive too...
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 3:59 pm

Managed to get hold of it, shout if anybody wants a butchers
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 4:00 pm

Supaglue wrote:
I've been looking at a side project too!

Me too!

Don wrote:
Managed to get hold of it, shout if anybody wants a butchers

On a totally unrelated subject, can someone fire us an email about where to upload books, I have the GK codex knocking about.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 4:01 pm

You can always upload to my work ftp (just name it something sensible)

ftp://ftp.uk.aedas.com/

login ###
password ###

in fact, i'll upload this marine thingy now

don_upload.pdf, into the 'for Lee Cressier' folder
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 4:01 pm

Decided to go down the 3rd company route, the 5th company flashing colour is actually black and not silver, whereas the 3rd company is red, which will be a bit easier to paint - i really don't like highlighting black...
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 4:02 pm

I know what you mean - there is no way to highlight black except just using blue/grey. It's one of those colours like white and red that just causes problems.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 4:02 pm

Starting to work out the drop pods, colours ofc are for materials, yellow is foam board etc

Still need to refine the door hinge somewhat, anybody got any ideas?

3rd Company Ultramarines Pod3y
3rd Company Ultramarines Pod4
3rd Company Ultramarines Pod5
3rd Company Ultramarines Pod6
Back to top Go down
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 4:07 pm

Impressive. I think you should keep those colours too.

For the ramp hinge can you make it like a watch strap, using a thin circular bit of metal?

Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 4:07 pm

yeah, at the moment there is some side cheeks made of foam board which is ideal for pushing a cocktail stick into the side of (the foamy part), then the door is a straw and piece of foamboard sandwiched into a cardboard skin, you can just make out the flattened out door template I think

Obviously they won;t ever be as good as the real thing, but as far as proxies go, they should certainly do the trick!
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 4:08 pm

Great stuff - anyone would think you were professional Razz

Keep us all updated on progress - really interesting to see how it pans out. Also do you have template plans for the cut outs yet?

Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 4:08 pm

Basically what I will do is assemble the model and then once I am happy, take it apart and lay it out onto sheets, trying to minimise cuts wherever possible
Back to top Go down
Don

OK, made a bit of a miscalculation with the sizes of foamboard we had in the office - I thought 6mm and 5mm whereas it is actually 5mm and 3mm.... doh

Anyway, not to worry I spray mounted some templates up, 3 x A3 sheets, 2 onto card and 1 onto foamboard
3rd Company Ultramarines Dsc02033fh

I started to assemble a test pod to test the size and some of the bits, I've just speared it with some cocktail sticks for now but I'll end up using pins in the final version

3rd Company Ultramarines Dsc02035zd
3rd Company Ultramarines Dsc02037a
3rd Company Ultramarines Dsc02038ur
3rd Company Ultramarines Dsc02039u
3rd Company Ultramarines Dsc02040f
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 3:43 pm

Wow, they look summat else! Got the dimensions just right.

Have you got some stuff in yer bits box to soup the shell up with? Zinge Industries do some decent wires cables.

Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 3:44 pm

I'm not overly sure what to do with them yet tbh, I'll defo add some additional sections of card, sort of like additional plating - that way I can have a uniform size for all of them - I'm planning on at least 3

Once I add extra plates and something on top and paint them up that might well be enough, at the end of the day they aren't ever going to be as detailed as a proper kit

I need to come up with a cunning plan for the sides of the doors, either that or just cut card to suit
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 3:44 pm

Supaglue wrote:
Wow, they look summat else! Got the dimensions just right.

Have you got some stuff in yer bits box to soup the shell up with? Zinge Industries do some decent wires cables.

Guitar strings are a good alternative too.

They look great so far, although it makes me sick. I struggled to glue my vehicles together and theres no way I can face painting them, while Dons building his own!
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 3:45 pm

I know, bugger!

Guitar string is a good idea - just make sure they're metal! Bottom E & A strings would be best - 0.38 to 0.56.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 3:46 pm

Finally some progress...

Test combat squad, using new paints and almost no colour mixing at all

3rd Company Ultramarines Dsc0019ix
3rd Company Ultramarines Dsc0020kg
3rd Company Ultramarines Dsc0021dg
3rd Company Ultramarines Dsc0022ige

Coverage of the new paints is incredible, the base mephiston red can pretty much go over anything in 1 coat, certainly enough to then go for a wash and then highlights

New brushes are really quite poor...

I had a lot of trouble with the transfers, the shoulder pads curve around too much for them to sit flat, i ended up making small incisions on the transfers to try and fold them around, I still ended up with some small seams. I have brought sculpted shoulder pads for the next tactical squad....
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 3:48 pm

Looking good. How long did they take you?

I have been impressed with the new paints too, only bought a couple to try em out, but seem good. Want to run down my old stuff first before I fully switch over to the new.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 3:48 pm

I did the veteran sergeant first to get an idea of the sequence, then the next 4 were a bit quicker but I'll still change the order of painting a little, if I pulled my finger out you could easily manage a squad of 10 in a week
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:03 pm

Yeah it's a +1 for the new paints from me!

Look really nice those Devastators. Shame I chose Crimson Fists now - that blue really picks out the shading nicely and shows off the detail. Is it slightly darker than Ultramarine Blue? Or does it just look darker because of the red?

Marines don't half paint up easy. Especially the new models.
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:03 pm

.... I say Devastators, but they're not really are they - it was the las cannon that threw me!
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:04 pm

Aye, tactical squad Smile

Compared to the old paints they are a little darker, not by much tho. I'm not sure about the red flashes on the weapons yet, too much?
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:07 pm

I think it ties them nicely with their pads, and adds a touch of contrast (marines can be a bit bland).

I was gonna say, what was the process for the graphite look weapons? I went a shiny silver for mine as (a) it was a lot easier to paint and (b) I thought they might have nothing to do except polish (fnarr) when they're not fighting; but I really like the look of your guns, so might go for that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Company Ultramarines   3rd Company Ultramarines Empty

Back to top Go down

3rd Company Ultramarines
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next