A Tale of 5 Wargamers

Adventures in Wargaming - 5 very boring individuals record their exploits playing with little men. Favoured rules include (but are not limited to) WFB, WH40k & The Horus Heresy (30k), Epic, Bloodbowl, Infinity, Saga & Flames of War

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:39 am

Right, to make a small side project that is an aside from my normal armies a bit more fun, I'm gonna assemble it by hook or by crook for a measly £30, in the spirit of the old Tale of X Gamers that White Dwarf used to do.

Here's the manifesto:

• The army has to be 1,000 pts, or as near as possible within the budget. Obviously if it's over 1k all the better!
  • 40k or WFB armies allowed (yes, I know WFB troops are normally dirt cheap, but you can also easily buy a 500 point monster)
  • The budget is £30 (it was gonna be £25 but this allows you a bit of room to maybe get something interesting). Once the army is completed and you're still willing, another round of cash can be injected.
  • conversions and anything from your bitz box can be used on the minis but the addition of any old figures from your collection should be declared
  • You don't have to just use ebay but if you do, and just to make things a bit easier, P&P should be declared but doesn't count towards your £30 (and no buying cheapo Canadian/American stuff and paying the whack on the P&P!)
  • Paints, resin basis and decals and other extras do not count towards the £30 unless it's something significant (so no buying a heavy bolter off ebay and then sticking a Valkyrie onto the side of it and claiming a heavy bolter conversion! You can see how my devious mind is working....)

Anyone who wants to join in, pop the pics of yer bargains here as well as plog updates of how they're looking painted.

I'll pop up my first purchases in the next day or two!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://taleof5wargamers.forumotion.co.uk
Unk

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:40 am

I have actually spent an hour or so trawling ebay after today's emails. And I think its going to be tougher than I originally thought!!!

I will try and have a stab at it though, just need to decide who I fancy.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:41 am

Just coz Gilly bought a Marine for 6p!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:41 am

Hehe the 6p marine has helped!

It is tough, but we can lower the requirements a bit - bit of fun really and a novel (and hopefully cheap) way to do an army. There's no point spending £30 and no one wanting to play with their crappy looking misfit army with troops nobody wants!

Photos tonight of my first buys along with prices....
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:42 am

Right, decided to go for a marine army. Boring I know, but I do quite like some of the newer figures and it can be an ally force alongside my IG.

Gonna go Crimson Fists, firstly coz I love them from the 1st ed 40k Battle of the Farm on Rynn's World and a rag tag force might suit what I can grab on the cheap. I also think I can paint them better than I could other chapters!

My first points:

An assault squad. Pricey these as they cost me £7.50, but they will be the choppy choppy vanguard of the force. I've always liked the figures too.

They were assembled and sprayed black but I think they must have had a few coats under it coz a lot of the armour detail was obscured.

After a few days of dettol soaking, I was no nearer getting them stripped, so I called in the hard stuff:

I finally got most of it off. I'm not too bothered about the last bits. Now to glue 'em back together and undercoat 'em.

Assault Squad (I will name them when I've painted them) - £7.50 (P&P £2.50)

100 pts, plus the sergeant has a plasma pistol (+15 pts) and melta bombs (+5 pts).

Total pts - 120

Next stop - trying to buy a troop choice.
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:42 am

I have been unlucky in bagging myself a tactical squad so far, but I managed to secure a mixed pot of scouts:

From left to right:

-A catachan demolition trooper and a multi melta for an attack bike (don't ask me - they were just in with one of the orders - sure they'll come in handy)

- Unpainted Scout - 99p

- Scout with bolt pistol and sword - 6p!

- Scout holding a shotgun - 55p

- undercoated second version of the unpainted scout (will convert him at some stage) - 55p

- second shotgun scout - 80p.

Total unit cost - £2.95 (total P&P - £3.45 - 4 of them came from the same guy and he combined P&P for us).

I would really like to have a heavy weapon in there, so i'll keep my eye out for a mis-launcher at some point. I quite like them having mixed weapons.

Scout squad - 75 pts

Running total - points: 195
Running total spent: £10.45
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:43 am

I really need a captain now. I was humming and hah-ing about whether to get a terminator captain, but I decided against it - they're all too pricey on ebay!

I'd lost out on a couple of different figures when I struck gold and got a character figure I liked with a power sword and storm bolter plus a load of extra minis:

Obviously they're gonna need a good bit of stripping, but for a job lot of £3.20 (P&P £2), I'm happy!

Not sure what I'm going to do with the standard bearer yet but the sergeant with the scanner will def get into a unit - I've always liked that figure.

So, Space Marine Captain (I will add the others when I've decided what to do with them) - 100 points plus Artficer's armour (+15 pts), storm bolter (might convert it to a combi weapon later on) (+3 pts) and a power sword (won't have it as a relic blade atm) (+15 pts) - total: 133 pts.

Running total pts: 328 pts
Running total cost: £13.65
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:43 am

In the hunt now for a tactical squad for my second troop choice. Also need something heavier to boost the pts and to add a bit of a whack on the battle field. Not sure what yet, but a vehicle would be nice.

In the meantime, snapped these up for 49p. They don't count towards the pts cost, but a wodge of decals will be useful:

Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:45 am

Waoh! you had a busy bank holiday! good buys!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:45 am

Don wrote:
Waoh! you had a busy bank holiday! good buys!

Bank holiday - don't be daft, he's done all this whilst at 'work'!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unk

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:47 am

Fair play, don't know how you have the patience! Still, going well so far.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:50 am

New updates have come through the post:

I said I wanted a heavy option - managed to bag big jobs (steve's brother):

Alright, they're technically elites unless you have a Master of the Forge, but it adds a bit if oomph to the force.

I think he's the Assault on Black Reach one but he looks decent. Pleased with him as he only cost me £7.

I continued hunting for other heavy options and came up trumps with these:

Really lovely models those and they only cost me £4.50. Not sure I'd ever have a plasma cannon, a multi-melta, a Heavy bolter and a lascannon all in the same unit but there you go.

They're all gonna need stripping of course - I mean why paint your marines a camo scheme and then give them bright orange guns?! Still, they were both from the same guy so he gave me reduced postage of £3.50 for the lot.

So, a dreadnought with multi melta and power claw - 105 pts ( I may extra armour him up for another +15 pts)

and a devastator squad (with multi melta, las cannon, heavy bolter and a plasma cannon) - 190 pts

Running total points: 623
Running total spent: £25.15
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:50 am

Bingo! I missed out on two similar tactical units that went for a couple of quid, so at a fiver (and £1.50 P&P), these are expensive for what they are really, but at least I've got my second troop choice:

They're base-coated pretty nicely in Dark Angels colours, but I will have to strip them down, sadly.

So a basic 10 man tac squad with mis-launcher and flamer comes in at 170 pts.

Running total points: 793

Running total spent: £30.15

So for £30 I fell a little short, but have a decent basis for an army.

I've decided to carry on a little bit more with a couple more purchases (maybe another tenner or so) to see what I can get.
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:51 am

The next day after I bought the tac squad, i managed to grab these Black Reach marines for 99p (+£1.50 P&P)

So that's 5 marines, plus the sarge and the other two plastic marines I got with the captain and that's more or less a squad - just need heavy/special weapons.

So if I was jiggling things around a bit, these 5 men could take a troop choice up for 99p instead of the 10 man tac squad above, giving me another £4 or so spare, so maybe 1k pts could be done with a bit of jiggery pokery.

Anyway, I also grabbed this for a bit of speed - £3.21 is not too bad I suppose although I missed a few bikes that went for 99p:

Another brucie bonus - that multi melta I got with that Catachan trooper is for the attack bike, so I can swap between that for mobile anti tank duties and the heavy bolter that came with the bike itself for anti infantry. Got myself a bit of mobility now and the bike can support the assault troops as they advance.

So that is:

Combat squad (8 man so far with my spare extra marines in it....) - 138 pts

Attack bike (with multi melta) - 50 pts

Running total points: 981

Running total spend:£34.35
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:52 am

Hot off the press - the latest bargain:

Didn't even have time to set up a white background!

A terminator squad with assault cannon. Again I think they're Black Reach figures but they look really nice and have a dynamism to them. More stripping needed though.

Still, for £4.50, it must be my favourite unit so far and really gives the whole force a spearhead with oomph (and a second elite choice!).

Sperminator squad with assault cannon - 230 pts.

Running points total: 1211

Running spend total: £38.85

So 1200 points for just under £40, not too bad. I still think if you jiggle about what I've bought, you could knock up a force close to 1k pts for about £30.

Anyway, I would like to finish off the force with a few more things to round it out. I will keep trying to get it from ebay or on the cheap, but some things I may just buy - at first glance I would like a couple of troop carriers (a razorback and a rhino), a chaplain with a jet pack to lead my assault troops, a command stand and Pedro Cantor. Sternguard would be cool too. And if I ever got round to it, a big tank like a Land Raider would be sweet, but that's far in the future!
Back to top Go down
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:52 am

Impressive!

You could certainly give Dicko a run for his money - "cheap as chips!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:53 am

Ahhh, couldn't help myself:

Just as my other terminator squad arrrived, I got offered these as a second chance buyout - Dunno if you know but if a sale falls through, the seller can offer it to the next highest bidder and so on - saves sellers having to relist stuff and pay the fee again.

Turned out that the guy who won it was Spanish and the seller did not want to post outside the UK, so I got offered them for £3.17 - too good to turn down!

Hideously painted, possibly with enamels/oils, but they will do nicely to bulk out my terminator squad to 10 men, or to have two squads. They've only got storm bolters, but I might look around for a heavy flamer arm for another heavy weapon.

So, the squad as it stands is another 200 pts to the army.

Running points total: 1411

Running spend total: £42.02
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:53 am

Had a test bash on a tactical marine this evening, just to try it out.

I'd bought some new paints and a couple of inks from Dark Sphere yesterday, so fancied the practice.

Reasonably pleased for a first attempt. I kept him simple and mainly used inks to shade with edged highlights on the armour.

The edging probably needs tidying up a bit, but I wasn't spending ages on him - he took just over an hour in the end (wish I'd based him now!).

I wanted to keep the highlights not too stark or exaggerated - not sure if I could have gone lighter or not? I don't like it too obvious on marines or you just end up with noticeable lines everywhere, but on the other hand, you want them to catch your eye when you're gaming.

Gotta sort out a tactical badge for the right shoulder and he's done.
Back to top Go down
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:54 am

He looks really good, Mon. Think you got the highlights spot on.

I expect them all to be painted by next week!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:54 am

You can get your orks done too and we can have fully painted armies!
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:57 am

While I am nowhere near an army for £30, I have adventured onto ebay, so will stick purchases with prices here too, and switch stuff to my logs as stuff is painted up.

I am not really keen on ebay tbh, I enjoy assembling stuff, and setting my own poses, but also could do with figures on the cheap, so may occasionally browse for some bulk up forces. So here is my first foray.

£12, with £3 p&p, Not too shabby, not as cheap as gilly's above but I just cant be arsed to spend a long time trying to get good deals. They are assault too, not the black rock ones which was what I wanted.

Tbh they are pretty well painted too, above table top standard I would say, just a shame they are Imperial Fists, and hes put what look like Brass etchings on em which will need to come off.

Just need to decide whether to try stripping them, or just prime over the existing job.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:58 am

Forgot to post about these - they look ace. I really like the newer plastic terminators.

The paint job doesn't look that thick, so you may be able to get away with just a re-paint and maybe a couple of reposes? Shame you're not Imperial Fists....
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:58 am

I know! Would have a painted unit, might swap!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:59 am

They've been dipped aint they? Looks like Army Painter from here.
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:59 am

Unk wrote:
I know! Would have a painted unit, might swap!!

Could always have 'em as allies in the new edition?

You could just make a bit of a crusading force, with different units from all over - just tie 'em all together with the same transfer on the knee or somesuch?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)   

Back to top Go down

The "He paid how much for that army?!" £30 challenge (culminating - hopefully - into a Crimson Fist Company)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next