A Tale of 5 Wargamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
A Tale of 5 Wargamers

Adventures in Wargaming - 5 very boring individuals record their exploits playing with little men. Favoured rules include (but are not limited to) WFB, WH40k & The Horus Heresy (30k), Epic, Bloodbowl, Infinity, Saga & Flames of War

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!)

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Supaglue
Admin

40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!)   40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 1:52 pm

Have you had a go with any sprays yet Don?
Back to top Go down
https://taleof5wargamers.forumotion.co.uk
Don

PostSubject: Re: 40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!)   40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 1:56 pm

Ah, just posted about the board in my main thread actually. Its taking a lot longer than I thought and bloody rain all the time isn't helping me!

So far I added various foamboard and mdf sections to the board and then I am sculpting them up with polyfilla so that the board is still pretty smooth (for standing men on) and hopefully once sanded off I can scrape away a few sections of the fill a to reveal bits of eldar ruins buried in the ground

I got a bit caught out with how long it takes polyfilla that's about 6mm deep to dry, but I sanded the bulk of it yesterday and its looking more promising (at first I thought I had just totally naffed it up) This week, one evening that doesn't rain, I'll put on the second load of polyfilla to finish smoothing it out, then a final sanding before it gets pva'd and sanded prior to spraying

I'll get some pics when I do that second filling so you can see whats going on with it. Still not sure if its going to be great or just a disaster!
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!)   40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 1:56 pm

Ooh,sounds very intriguing! Eldar archaeology!
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!)   40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 1:57 pm

Put the second coat of fill in the areas that still needed smoothing tonight, hopefully its dry tomorrow and I'll sand it off and take some pics. Its a bit of a dilemma deciding how textured the board should be, essentially this is still just a flat base board so I don't want to get too carried away
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!)   40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 1:57 pm

Exciting stuff - looking forward to the pics.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!)   40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 1:58 pm

ok, don't get too excited... Here is the board so far, its still needs an extra sanding but it isn't far off ready to be pva/sand coated. Typically, as everything else has gone wrong, it turns out that the second filla I used is much, much harder than the first so when I am sanding it I'm getting an odd effect where the softer filla below is coming off nicely but the harder one isn't so I'm gaining extra ridges...

Its generally still pretty smooth, so it has texture but it shouldn't really make it too tough to stand figures on

40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 DSC_0506_zpsiwcfoyhv
40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 DSC_0507_zps2qklwta5
40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 DSC_0508_zpskbuacccm
40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 DSC_0509_zpsllw1uc61
40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 DSC_0511_zpsvrr8ijlh
40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 DSC_0512_zpsyatumatk
40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 DSC_0514_zpsr3noxgwo
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: 40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!)   40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 2:00 pm

Excited! Looks good from what I can see here.
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: 40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!)   40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 2:01 pm

Looking good. Keep it up! 3 weeks to go!
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!)   40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 2:06 pm

Update time

Gave the board another sanding and using a roller a layer of pva and a good covering of fine sand. I had 4 cans of spray (grey, brown and 2 black) and gave it a good coating

This was it in the garden

40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 DSC_0518_zps7aiolds0

Not sure why photobucket is cropping this closer shot

40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 DSC_0519_zps8ofl6hjy

Crappy lighting in the outhouse, so it looks yellow but you should be able to see the sort of effect I was after. next thing to do is paint up the exposed elements in a bone colour and give them heavy washes and ofc sprinkle some larger sand/scatter strategically

40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 DSC_0528_zps5izarywp

Closeup of the texture

40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 DSC_0531_zpstjo817ut
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!)   40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 2:07 pm

Really good that. I wasn't sure about the brown but you've done a great job blending it in.
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: 40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!)   40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 2:08 pm

Looks awesome, the spread of colours look perfect.
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!)   40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 2:10 pm

Yeah, agree with Dan - thinking of adding a bit of brown on mine - I like the variation it gives.

I presume that it's the base colour left to show through in patches? If so, what did you use for that base brown?

I think the bone artefact detail will make a nice contrast but not be too loud as to jar the eye. It will also look good with your army on the table, with their bone colouring (snigger - bone).
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!)   40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 2:10 pm

The brown was http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NIR3ZQI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

It takes a bit longer to dry but I guess thats being water based or something

I started by putting brown over all the areas that had extra texture and then a few more bits for good measure. Then I went with my first can of black and basically gave the board a good overall covering sort of encroaching on the brown but not right through the middle of them

Next up was the grey, which was actually a bit lighter than I had hoped, but it was useful for going a bit heavier where you could see the contrast of the old black board against the white filla showing through. In retrospect I should have attacked them with a paintbrush and a beige or grey or something to soften those starkly contrasting lines before I had started spraying

That left me a can of black to spray around generally blending in all the areas, it wasn't too windy the day I sprayed it so I could stand reasonably far back, probably spraying from a good 2ft distance. At this point I was going to put a touch more brown in a couple of areas but it splattered and I only just had enough black left to blend the spatters in, generally with light coats over the brown areas

In total it was £14.13 for the sprays, but the brown was £6.99... I also picked up a bag of fine sand http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009GGVQK2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01 and a pot of pva which was more than enough for this board http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000FL87YK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

The only other items really was a big tub of filla from wilkos and a bit more sandpaper. Not a bad makeover but it really should have been a summer task when there was better weekends to do it (well, barely)

I'm hoping to do the detail areas this weekend, keep them quite grubby. like a warm grey/brown colour with some heavy washes. Should look like old bits of ruins that have been almost entirely covered over
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!)   40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

40k Scenery (and hopefully a board in the near future!)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2