A Tale of 5 Wargamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
A Tale of 5 Wargamers

Adventures in Wargaming - 5 very boring individuals record their exploits playing with little men. Favoured rules include (but are not limited to) WFB, WH40k & The Horus Heresy (30k), Epic, Bloodbowl, Infinity, Saga & Flames of War

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Unk

The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force Empty
PostSubject: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:24 am

Ok, all this power armour talk recently has really given me the bug to start up a marine force. I have spent a few weeks umming and aahing about it, and what my goal would be for them and how I wanted to set them up. My aim with this log is to be a bit more text heavy with (probably) less frequent updates than my DE, but have a few more wip pictures and try a few different things modelling wise, but hopefully the option to switch between styles will keep me from getting bored, which I have been recently, and just a day or two gluing up stuff etc has really got the imagination firing.

I originally fancied Grey Knights, the figures are fantastic, and pricey pts wise too, so wouldn't of taken much cash to make a sizeable force. The codex really put me off though, fluff wise and while they should be elite, the rules went a step too far. The other contenders were all regular space marine codex, through Salamanders with the Vulkan special character, or pre heresy World Eaters or Thousand Sons. I dabbled with Astral Claws, the main villians of the Badab War who got a bit of Forge World love (I have uploaded part one to Dons folder if anyone wants a browse, well worth it just to read the story, fantastic book), either using the standard codex, or the Tyrants legion, which is kind of a mix of Marines with planetary defence force meat shields, which also appealed.

I got as far as going into GW to kick things off, but had a last minute change of heart(very unlike me), and switched to Blood Angels. Main reason being I love some of their range and I felt I could get up and running quicker than what I had planned for Astral Claws.

My plan is to use the special character Gabriel Seth from the Flesh Tearers as my captain, and model over those chapter symbols, as I LOVE that figure, and his rules aren't overly powerful(he seems to be frowned upon by the 'net). I may at a later date pick up Astorath as my second HQ, but that's a long way distant(and hes bloody finecast now!).

Blood Angels have a ton of assault troops, but I want to try and run a force that's basically a short range firefight force with a couple of cc choices to tie up the enemy. I am also going to try and limit my force and not take some of the more powerful choices to help balance out as its considered a more powerful codex than the standard marine codex.
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:24 am

So, first up, the idea of my force.

The 3rd company 'IronHelms' are lead by Captain Galan Machiavi, Master Of Sacrifice. Machiavi has only just assumed command of the company, being promoted after Captain Tycho fell at the 3rd Battle of Armageddon. While Machiavi is a competent soldier, he has taken control of a battered company, still in shock at the loss of their former captain, someone considered a true hero of the Imperium of Man.

The company is well below its full fighting strength after Armageddon, several squads have been merged to stay at full fighting strength as the latest recruits are still not considered ready to assume full chapter duties. Commander Dante has assigned the Ironhelms to answer a call for aid from the planetary governor of Hyperion, who has claimed that a cultist uprising has occurred, Dante assuming that a brief subjugation will blood Machiavi and his bonds with his new command. To bulk out the force, several support units and 1st company veterans have been assigned, under instruction to support the new Captains decisions in all ways and supply overwhelming firepower. A resounding victory is required to remove the ghost of Tycho.

However, despite crushing the initial rebellion swiftly, the force had discovered clues that the corruption was rooted much deeper, heavy cybernetic and genetic modifications had been made to the cultists, pointing to Dark Mechanicum interference.

Now, several months later, the Iron Helms have been dragged into a full scale campaign against the nearby forge moon of Hyperion XII. Forced to use hit and run tactics against suspected corrupted foundries to avoid the overwhelming firepower that can be brought to bear by resident Titan legions and Skitari Companies, ammunition, supplies and men are running low, the problems compounded by the fact that each foundry broadcasts their innocence, while accusing other foundries of corruption.

Honour bound to persecute this campaign, and now bolstered by troops from the Ultramarines 3rd company and a small contingent of attached Crimson Fists, Machiavi finally has the manpower required for a full war footing. Just as the full purging has begun, Machiavi has received the call sent by Dante to all Blood Angels and successor chapters that Hivefleet Leviathan is approaching Baal. Resolving to 'eradicate everything' and leave the pieces to be picked up by others so they can answer this new call for aid from their homeworld, both Machiavi's allies and his own men watch with growing concern as new levels of savagery are unleashed upon both rebels and loyal Imperial subjects...
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:25 am

Wow, didn't realise what a wall of text that was. Anything to get out of painting!

Couple of pics of my first unit, only 5 men, but final plan will be 10 in a Rhino.

The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force P1000280

The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force P1000284

I was initially going to go for desert style bases, and pigment powders up the legs to show weathering. I may still do that, although not sure how it may work out on red figures. These wont have any campaign markings, or battle damage on their armour, as death company normally paint their armour black when they fall to the black rage, and normally only last the one battle before either

A) Dying, or
B) Being put down after the battle.

So from a fluff viewpoint, each battle will be their first, but they manage to stay sane enough to fight again due to the carnage being wrought(it kind of works!)
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:26 am

Finished Captain Galan Machiavi.

Considering how much I hate finecast, going back to metal was a shock. Much more difficult to tidy up and work with, glad I didn't plan to convert it at all. The other thing I did with him, which I have never done before, is paint all the pieces separately and then glue it up afterwards. Not convinced by that, easier to get to places, but its soul destroying when you think you have finished, and then realise you still have to do arms and backpack/cape.

The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force P1000289

The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force P1000291

The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force P1000293
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:26 am

Wow! Not had a chance to comment on these yet - they look ace. The basework really sets them off.

And the glowing name is brilliant on Machiavi. How did you find the red? It's always something that I find difficult, but maybe the new paints are better for it.
Back to top Go down
https://taleof5wargamers.forumotion.co.uk
Unk

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:27 am

The red was mainly old colours tbh, using the base colour, mechrite red?, then a wash, and several dry brushes getting lighter and lighter. I did use the new glaze type once he was done, but not sure how much difference that made tbh.

I might redo the name on his base tbh, I was a little bleary eyed by the time I got to that...

Another DE unit next I think, when I get time.
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:27 am

Love your Gabriel Seth figure, BTW.

If you want to keep up with the fancy characters,then this guy might be a good Librarian or similar?
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:28 am

And then they were two..

Still cant get a comfortable painting setup where I am now living, but finished a man, and sorted out getting some pictures up.

Things learnt? I am not going to use colour sprays again, I hate this gold, and as its a spray and not GW, none of the colours I have match it. So this honour gaurd, despite me wanting them to be a centerpiece to the army are just going to be rushed to a tabletop standard.

Anyhoo, brother Camael is done.

The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force 001

The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force 002

The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force 003
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:28 am

Don wrote:
Which brand of spray did you use Dan? did you 'dip' them afterwards?

The gold looks a little mono-colour, maybe add an additional wash? or perhaps some zingy highlights?

Looking forward to seeing the first squad!

I cant remember the title of it, was a modelling spray. Not happy with it, not as good quality as gw stuff, so its filled in a little of the details of the models. I had given them a sephia wash, but had forgotten about a highlight till you mentioned it, but the gw colours just don't tie together against the spray.

Overall, a bit annoyed, just going to get these out of the way tbh. Serves me right for trying to cut a few corners!
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:29 am

Nice! Loving the backstory as well - just read it again.

The colour of the gold is good. Think Don's right - you could get away with a black wash on the armour, to pick the detail out - metals always look better after it.
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:29 am

Rough as hell, but finally got these buggers out of the way.

The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force 001-1

The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force 002-1
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:53 am

Nice one! I really like the metallic shade you have on the melta guns, did you mix grey into the metallic or something?

Whats next on the list?
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:54 am

preferably Empire, but seeing as I will get told off, going to take a stab at my dreadnought, see how I get on with a biggie!

The metal is the new ironbreaker? then a black wash, and highlighted with the old mithril silver. Trying to phase out the old paints where possible, the new ones are a lot better quality.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:55 am

Strangely I still use Mithril Silver to help the metal highlights.. I'm going to pick up that Ironbreaker colour, I think it will be ideal for high elves!

Look forward to seeing the dread, will it be red?
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:55 am

Black...
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:57 am

Nice - finally got 'em done! Dunno what you were worried about - they look good all together and finished up.

Let us know if you fancy snaffling some weathering pigments for the Dread.
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:57 am

Not after listening to you moan about you weathering...
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:58 am

hehe - had another go over it tonight and it's come out a bit better with pigments to cover the bodge!
Back to top Go down
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:58 am

Cool - I like them.

I like the fact your Marines are multi-cultural - your melta guy has a Hindu Tilak on his helmet!
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:59 am

Done. Well, done enough!

The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force 0012

The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force 0022
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 11:00 am

Woah, good stuff - knocked him up quick! Nice contrast with the black and the claws.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 11:07 am

Getting faster! Are you feeling more inspired now that another model is ticked off?

He looks very striking.. and somewhat scary!
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 11:10 am

He's rock!

I suspect you may not like Dan's answer to how inspired he is! Still, he should be - gonna look great along side some death company.

Wish I could chin a vehicle as a troop choice.
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 11:11 am

Oh so inspired! The more I do, the more I cant wait to start painting a different army!
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 11:13 am

Another choice down..

The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force 002-2

The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force 004

The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force 005

Not too happy with the OSL on his staff, but its something else finished. Running out of stuff to do without starting on troops though! Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force   The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force Empty

Back to top Go down

The Purging of Hyperion XII - A Blood Angel Strike Force
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next