A Tale of 5 Wargamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
A Tale of 5 Wargamers

Adventures in Wargaming - 5 very boring individuals record their exploits playing with little men. Favoured rules include (but are not limited to) WFB, WH40k & The Horus Heresy (30k), Epic, Bloodbowl, Infinity, Saga & Flames of War

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Supaglue
Admin

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:13 pm

Foxy wrote:
Can't wait to see them all painted

Blimey, keen!

I've just won some weathering pigments on ebay so I'm gonna have a bash with them on the bikes as a run up to a tank.
Back to top Go down
https://taleof5wargamers.forumotion.co.uk
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:13 pm

Just to show they've not been neglected:

A scarred Commissar Luger, newly decorated after his successful defence of Stavromulo Beta, helping a sinner to find the Emperor's Light:

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0606

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0607

And every secret policeman needs a swagger stick!

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0613

Luger is just a normal Commissar - I've got the old HQ colonel figure for my Lord Commissar HQ. All my HQ choices will have fancy bases but as Luger will be with the troops, he's got a normal base like them.

I decided to put a bit of colour in him to make it contrast against the normal uniforms of the 9th. Might be a bit fancy for a commissar but he should at least stand out!
Back to top Go down
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:14 pm

I think the bit of colour works perfectly. You have used just the right amount. He looks really good
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:16 pm

nice one mate, I'd agree too, a little splash of colour looks good and will help separate him from the riff raff on the battlefield!
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:17 pm

He looks well. last time we saw him he was getting blown up!

Got to agree too on the purple, it is just the right amount to make him stand out without looking garish. I wonder if the inside of his cloak is velor?
Back to top Go down
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:18 pm

Unk wrote:
he looks well. last time we saw him he was getting blown up

The miracles of modern science!
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:19 pm

Ah but did he...? He (or somebody) threw the grenades into Moltark's room in the last bit of the story and claimed all the glory! He's a riser.
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:19 pm

Just a quick WIP shot for the heavy weapon of Bravo Squad, 812 platoon.

Still no luck finding the ice cube tray that was perfect for making plaster of paris tank traps, I've bought some from Ironclad Miniatures, a bargain at £1.50 for 5.

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0619

They're basic resin blocks shaped like dragon's teeth, so you can cut into them how you like. They look pretty good after you chisel them a bit with a craft knife. The two on the left in the pic above have been chipped away at, the two on the right are as they come.

I've decided to use one on the base for the heavy wep and kept the other 4 (above) - I'll put them onto a foam board base and use them as a bit of scenery when I get a chance.

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0624

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0612

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0613-1

Reckon it looks ok? I cut the trap off at the top and added a bit of a drill bit sticking out to look like the metal pile reinforcing the concrete.

I had a play around this morning with some pigments. I painted the concrete codex grey with a fortress grey highlight (one of my favourite drybrushes for stone and concrete!) and edged with white.

I then added some concrete Mig pigment powder to the top and the chipping, fixed with some surgical spirit. It took out a lot of the black undercoat that was showing through and made it look more dusty.

The rust was done with Mig 'Old Rust' and 'Standard Rust' pigments. It was probably overkill on that litle bit, but I wanted to test it out. I also mixed a bit of the pigment powder up with some surgical spirit, to paint around the pile to make it look like it was stained.

I cut the shell hole out of the side of the trap and used a bit of black smoke pigment around to look like scorch marks. Not too sure about that. Think I might need to practice with the black.
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:25 pm

Good idea them. Your heavy weapon teams are good for decorative bases. Love the cable sticking out of it as well. Pigments seem to look ok too. How do they work? Is it just a powder?

Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:26 pm

Yeah it's paint pigment without the paint bit! Thing is, when you apply surgical spirit or alcohol fixative, it takes on a magic hue and clumps onto it and dries hard, so it gives the rust or mud or whatever a textured look. I think it really needs a big thing like a tank to show it off properly.

You can also mix it into a wash, or add varnish/pva so it goes gloopy like thick wet mud.

I've toned the black scorch marks down a bit by rubbing the area down with a thick brush - looks better now.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:28 pm

It looks great, tho is it going to block the angle of your paintbrush when doing the figures? Or are they not glued properly yet?
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:29 pm

Hehe - good thinking! The men are only blue tacked but the gun is stuck - it will only obscure the ammo box really.
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:29 pm

Not had chance for much painting, but I have managed to finish modelling my (very) Rough Riders!:

The hard bitten, cigar smokin' sarge:

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0613-2

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0614

Don't worry - I'll get the mould line off that netting! In two minds of whether to keep it (it's from the sentinel sprue), or make my own netting from some bandages - what d'ya reckon?

In the meantime....

The Flamer (As he has volatiles plugged in all over his bike, I wanted him to look like he hada screw loose - I like this head, it looks like Ron Perlman in the Name of the Rose!):

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0611

For some reason you can't really make his face out properly on the above pic but he has his mouth wide open and his jaw is undershot! The green stuff is to hide a massive air bubble that happened when I tried to clean it up and the surface fell off revealing this massive hole! Finecast eat your heart out!

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0612-1

I had been trying to put the flamer on a turret behind him but settled for the front. Thing is, if he drove quickly, the flames would come back onto him! I suppose in the 41st millennium their flamethrowers are powerful enough to outrun a quad bike!

Trooper 1:

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0615

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0616

Trooper 2:

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0609

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0610

Group shot, with the comm trooper I made originally:

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0617

You'll have to use your imagination a bit until they're properly undercoated/painted up a bit.

The bits are off various sprues - the packs are off most IG sprues and the vehicle bits sprue - I wanted to make each bike different so they all have varying packs on them.

The aguilas are Forge World brass-etched ones.

The heads are from various sprues, but mostly from the sentinel sprue.

I still need to put something to make the lances look explosive, then clean and tidy them up a bit and I'm done and ready to paint. Only problem is their bases are so big you can get tons of troops around them!
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:45 pm

Can't wait for the paint job!
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:45 pm

Should have them done by Xmas. Which Xmas is another matter.....
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:46 pm

My latest purchase from ebay - £18, but the canopy is missing, the stand is missing and the tail fins need work. Probably a rip off really (you can get a brand new one from Dark Sphere for about £33), but I fancied rescuing something and doing a Tim Westwood Pimp up.

The plan is to strip it, get the extra bits and bobs and make it my first vehicle that I paint. As a practice, it's probably better to go for an old second hand thing like this rather than a brand new model. The plan is to also learn some new techniques along the way (paint stripping in particular).

I really wanted a Valkyrie/Vendetta mainly because I think the model is ace, but also because it has to be a must for a fast reconnaissance/pathfinder force that would need to drop troops precisely and quickly to objectives.

As you can see, it was a bit of a mess:

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0610-1

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0611-2

I've stripped down one wing as you can see. The shiny liquid is from a quick soak in dettol.

The painting was awful - like Stevie Wonder had had a go! Thick and patchy and poorly applied.

One wing had broken off but I managed to use some acetone (nail varnish remover - not mine....) to soften up the other one as well. The rest of the model is bloody spot welded, not glued - I can't get the doors or crew to shift.

So, onto a 12 hour soak in a bucket of Dettol (kept outside - god it stinks!). Apparently brake fluid and castrol super clean works just as well, but they're carcinogenic and very poisonous, which is a no no with Rory about. At least with Dettol, although not great, I'll have clean drains when I go to get rid!

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0614-1

Starting to shift!
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:47 pm

Supaglue wrote:

So, onto a 12 hour soak in a bucket of Dettol (kept outside - god it stinks!). Apparently brake fluid and castrol super clean works just as well, but they're carcinogenic and very poisonous, which is a no no with Rory about. At least with Dettol, although not great, I'll have clean drains when I go to get rid!

Starting to shift!

Yep, that looks much safer to drink than brake fluid..

Good though, although it looks like it needs more than a pimp up!
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:47 pm

Hehe - aye no getting away from it being undrinkable but if he gets his hands in it it shouldn't be too bad other than a bit of dry skin. Brake fluid will start eating his skin!

It's still soaking as we speak.
Back to top Go down
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:48 pm

Nice model that. You could make it so it looks as if it has been hit - which would explain the wrecked state of the craft. Maybe (somehow) put a couple of Guardsmen parachuting out the back - so it's still deploying it's troops.

Was it painted with Humbrol paints? Looks a real thick mess
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:50 pm

Is that your toothbrush in that pot?

Top marks for effort mate, that's a lot of work to get it ship shape again. Going for a weathered/battle damaged look will likely hide anything you want to hide

Soaking time doesn't count as painting time btw, so stop slacking and paint something else whilst it is soaking ;p
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:50 pm

Slave driver! Apart from the campaign tiles and making up some more troops, I've also won a flying stand and some new landing gear for the Valkyrie for a grand total of £5, which ain't half bad. Only problem, it's coming from the US....

Still no joy on the canopy cover though - Let the Dice Decide sold their last one last week Sad

And Fox, I don't think it was humbrols as it's come off like acrylic paint should do - there's just tons of it! Worse, the glue is about 4mm thick in some places and has run and covered the paint, so it's even harder to get off....
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:51 pm

Well, I think this is as good as I'm going to get it - A few bits of paint left but they're so thin you won't notice them when they're sprayed over and the engines will be black anyway:

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0625

With the acetone and the long Dettol soak, I've managed to soften the glue enough to get the side doors off and the rear hatch. No joy though with the fuselage roof, which is shame because the detail inside it is pretty amazing - lights and fire extinguishers and things on the walls.

I saw a really good valkyrie on Warseer where the guy had given a light red spray inside and from the outside it looked like the glow of those dim red lights they have in military helicopters. Looked ace, but not gonna happen here.

So I've decided to do what I can painting the inside, have one of the side doors shut and the other one open with a heavy bolter gunner coming out of the hatch. I would have magnetised them but it'd be too fiddly if I can't get inside. Having one gunner is a halfway house, but I fancy modelling it, so in it goes.

Not sure if to have the rear ramp down or not. I quite like it down but it will probably be a bit fragile only being glued at one end. Nice room for a bit of a rusty ramp though. Any thoughts?

Next stop, magnetising the weapon loadouts. A quick red paint dot where i want the magnets:

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0629

And then drill the holes and pop the magnets in (they're 1mm x 1mm ones off ebay - really fiddly and you have to get the polarity right, but hopefully they'll be worth it):

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0630

A little bit of green stuff and some paint and you wont know they're there!

And finally, voila:

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0632

Just gotta buy some las-cannons now so I can turn it into a vendetta with a quick weapon swap. Shame the las cannon and sensors on the cockpit front won't come loose to do the same as the nacelle ones.
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:52 pm

Spot the deliberate mistake! I'd set the rocket pods so that they were facing the wrong way! Fortunately the polarity still matches reversed! Phew!

On another note, ordered a few bits and bobs from all over to make 'Fill' N' 'Grunt':

Most Imperial Guard armies have a small cadre of troops assigned to special duties. Hand picked from veteran squads for their aptitude to these specialist needs, bodyguards are trained at academies where they learn their art. Their duties normally involve the protection of visiting dignitaries from the military or from the various Officios that run the Imperium.

However, in times of war, their skills are utilised on the battle field, protecting commanding officers from assassination and ambushes. In large conflicts many such bodyguards are deployed and even grateful company commanders sometimes have the opportunity of the bodyguard's services.

In the example below, we see two bodyguards of the 9th Cadian, 4th Company. They wear officer's cloaks and regalia to confuse enemy snipers. Note the Guard on the right, who has full ablative upper body armour to assist in parenthesized ballistic absorption, or 'bullet catching' as the troopers themselves refer to it.

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 DSC_0628

You can have two bodyguards as part of the Company Command HQ, as 'advisors'. I might not take 'em every time, but I wanna have (at least) one of each advisor choice so I can pick and choose the look of my HQ from battle to battle (not for the campaign though, natch!).
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:53 pm

Oooh really nice, the ship cleaned up really well tbh

Love the bodyguards too, can't wait to see em painted!
Back to top Go down
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:54 pm

The bodyguard on the right looks like Patrick Stewart!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum   9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

9th Cadian 'The Praecursors' - Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next