A Tale of 5 Wargamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
A Tale of 5 Wargamers

Adventures in Wargaming - 5 very boring individuals record their exploits playing with little men. Favoured rules include (but are not limited to) WFB, WH40k & The Horus Heresy (30k), Epic, Bloodbowl, Infinity, Saga & Flames of War

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Don

Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 3:40 pm

I shaded it a bit, started off with a grey/white mix and then added more and more watered down white to keep it smooth - probably a lot of what you can see is just the lighting of the room tho...
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 3:40 pm

Long overdue update...

Got through another rank of sea guard which you can see in the background and also assembled the Frost Phoenix

This guy I am going to use as a Loremaster, he is actually the Swordsmaster champion from island of blood but with an extra bit of sash and a new base to elevate him a bit

Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 Img1_zps9e26f301
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 3:43 pm

Very nice. I really like his sword, looks like it goes a darker colour towards the hilt? Really makes it stand out. You need a book or something to stick on his back though, to make him look the studious type!

Also, is that a resin base? Characters only for WFB I hope or that might get pricey!!
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 3:43 pm

I was looking for a book on the bitz store, but they all seemed to be open, or open and being held... if anybody spots something I could use just yell (job for Gilly)

The sword does indeed get darker towards the hilt! The base is just a thick piece of card I scored with a blade and popped off a couple of the top layers so it looked like missing tiles
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 3:45 pm

Don wrote:
The base is just a thick piece of card I scored with a blade and popped off a couple of the top layers so it looked like missing tiles

Really? wow, looks good then for something simple like that.

I might have some books, will check, from the fraggle box.
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 3:45 pm

Great work, him. Agree about the sword , although maybe go a bit lighter to emphasise it a bit? or make it a bluey tinge? - it might be the pic though.

Will keep the peelers open for a book. Pref on a chain?
Back to top Go down
https://taleof5wargamers.forumotion.co.uk
Don

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 3:46 pm

Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 DSC_0027_zpsa2f8ee44

Better photo - or at least closer.... bit too close really!!

Cheers for the books links Gilly
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 3:47 pm

Progress on the Frost Phoenix... I have to say this is pretty tricky to paint, trying to mix up a colour means you have to mix a vast amount as the bloody thing is so big!

I will lighten the paler section so that it fades out closer to white by the time it reaches the end of its tail and overall I'll try to add in a hint more purple

Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 DSC_0065_zps53b8b45e
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 3:48 pm

Woah. Looking good so far.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 3:48 pm

Following on from our main campaign section and my regiment of renown, I'm repainting/upgrading my Phoenix Guard. Here is a quick comparison of the old and the new, I'm going for red and gold and a darker feel but I do need to grab some brighter green paints so that I can do the gems properly... Let me know what you think

Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 DSC_0717_zps89cb892e
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 3:49 pm

Blue Gems, not convinced, think I'm happy with the changes, red and gold should make them stand out amongst the rest of the units and and make them feel more regal

Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 DSC_0721_zpsd850b512
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 3:49 pm

The red looks loads better IMHO - stands out far crisper. The purple looks a bit washed out.

I think green gems would be better though - make a nice contrast with the red. It's how I'd accessorize for a girls night out.
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 3:53 pm

Red looks great. Green gems would look good I think, but what about a mix of colours?
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 3:53 pm

Time to break the serious slacking....

sorted the Frost Phoenix, which was an absolute ball ache to paint - awkward to hold and really difficult to blend because of the size. Probably would have been easier with an airbrush but hey ho. Fairly happy with it, although the flying stand seems very fragile to me. Good call on the base scenery Dan, after you mentioned it I went and looked properly

Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 DSC_0823_zps1e9e672c

Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 DSC_0824_zps2d413207
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 3:55 pm

Progress on the Phoenix Guard, couple of ranks complete - difficult to motivate yourself to repaint figures... still, they are a big improvement over the originals

Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 DSC_0827_zps634b39c4

Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 DSC_0828_zps11c81322
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 3:57 pm

Looking good. They are definitely an improvement I think, look like they have a bit more depth to them.

Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 3:58 pm

I double posted, did you catch the frosty on the previous page too?

seems the modern painting style is much more bold and the bases help too i think
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 3:59 pm

Woops no, totally missed that. Looks great though. Need to pull my finger out, get something done! Anything!
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 4:00 pm

Progress on the Sisters... decided to do all 10 together. Slightly different style, with very heavy washing - these are now ready to get a bunch of highlights. With a bit of luck have them finished tomorrow

Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 DSC_0823_zpsadaf6956
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 4:00 pm

Wagh, who are you?! Welcome back!

I really like the phoenix, done a great job - and he looks very nice slightly drab (without meaning to sound rude!).

The Phoenix Guard are coming on and yer right, they do look a lot better. You can see in the shot with the old colours how much more impact they have in the red contrast compared to the more pastel purple. The wash they've had defines them a bit better too.

And those sisters are going to be a great looking unit. Don't you ever get bored painting white?!
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 4:01 pm

Those sisters look great. Really nice them.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 4:02 pm

Slacking a bit today, but slowly working through the first set of highlights - the white is taking ages! for some reason my ulthuan grey layer paint is a bit gloopy and seems to dry really fast

not too much white on these tho, a good dose of green! makes me think that wood elves would be easier to paint than high elves tbh!
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 4:03 pm

Boom! Sisters complete.

I particularly dislike the fire on the bows of these models so I tried to paint it more like a bow, with flames on it rather than a complete flaming bow like GW seem to

I have to say, not that impressed with the kit. Each body/arm/bow has to go together as a set, so effectively your only freedom is cloak, legs and head - which to me suggests you could have just made these as single cast figures rather than multi-kit. The champion is also odd, at first it looks like you get the chance to assemble the champion as either sword+bow or just fired the arrow, with the slightly flashier head. But in truth you have to do both options as there isn't enough arms/bows to make another regular archer. Its only a little thing, but it annoyed me. If its going to be multi-part plastic then there needs to be a whole bunch of options, otherwise, whats the point...

Anyways, unit of 10 done - reasonably happy with them, this is probably the way I will paint everything else too, a little rougher but a lot quicker

Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 DSC_0826_zps9a0e891e

Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 DSC_0825_zps044b2da1

Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 DSC_0827_zpsa82e9578

Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 DSC_0828_zpsb25f6698
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 4:03 pm

They do look lovely for a quick unit. Are they skirmishers in game?
Back to top Go down
Don

Nah fraid not, just a regular unit - although if they are led by the high sister hero character they can move and fire without penalty - quite tempted to grab one of those figures, would be finecrap tho....

I'm thinking quicker way of painting won't make any difference in the context of an army on a board, but I'd like to get back to fully painted

Got a half finished mage I'm going to spruce up next, get him in white ready for a council of light....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host   Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Vanguard of the White Tower - High Elf Host
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next