A Tale of 5 Wargamers

Adventures in Wargaming - 5 very boring individuals record their exploits playing with little men. Favoured rules include (but are not limited to) WFB, WH40k & The Horus Heresy (30k), Epic, Bloodbowl, Infinity, Saga & Flames of War

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Foxy

PostSubject: Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog   Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:00 pm

Finally managed to glue my unit of Glade Guard. It must have taken me about 12-15 hours to cut out, clean and glue the miniatures. What a ball-ache.

I bought some Citadel Plastic Glue and it is utter shite. They have changed the formula from when I last had some and I swear it's the same stuff you get in the pound shop. It's thick, stringy and is useless at sticking. Quite a few of my miniatures were incredibly fragile after having been left a while - their body parts could be easily moved.

I had some from years ago that was awesome, it came in a pot with a small brush and was quite runny. You just painted a bit on both sides and it stuck like, well...glue. I know they then changed to selling the same stuff, without the brush, (which was an inconvenience), but it still did the job. This current stuff is a waste of money. If I wanted shite glue, I would have paid minimal amount for it. Bah!

Anyway - bit shitty, but here are some pics.

This one wouldn't focus too well on the champion. Need manual focus!

The grey is a new camouflage, it's perfect for not being seen at night. Just ask Fergie! Just need to slap a bit of colour on their faces now. Job done!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog   Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:01 pm

Good man. Decided on a colour scheme yet? Always like the seasonal ones.

Think the glue may have been bad luck, I am using there's and its been fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog   Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:03 pm

Well on the way! And yeah I've got some of that glue and I don't even bother with it - I just use super glue so you're not holding the bits in place for ages whilst it dries.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://taleof5wargamers.forumotion.co.uk
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog   Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Aye - super glue would have been much better.

Going to do them an autumn colour scheme. Bought the paints, but not quite sure how I want to paint the figures just yet. One of the biggest decisions, that I haven't made yet, is what colour to paint the cloaks (which I haven't cut from the sprues yet). Probably a dark red, but not too sure. Autumn colours tend to be shades of oranges, with a sprinkling of lighter yellow-brown and dark red.

I think the cloaks would look a bit strange if they were all a fairly bright orange.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog   Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:06 pm

Yeah, it's got to be a rich deep colour rather than orange.

I spose the best way to go about it is have a look at some pics:

An orangey rust might be ok but like you say, it's a bit risky and may look duff on a miniature - you might have to tone it down with drab browns.

To be honest, I think Wood Elves always look good in really mute, toned down colours, so maybe really dull browns/yellows might be better and you could get some brass-etched leaves or similar for the bases and paint them bright autumn colours instead?

Also, you don't want colours that are a hassle to mix if you've gotta paint alot of troops.

Saying that, this guy seems to have pulled it off(not the greatest of painters but the colour scheme works).
Back to top Go down
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog   Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:07 pm

Got a couple of those pictures saved already. I also used an online colour wheel to have a look at colours that should compliment each other.

I prefer them darker shades of colours as well - a lot of the photos of autumn are actually quite bright, with very little deep shades of red / orange. I need to have a look at a few other armies and also at my miniatures to decide what colours to paint each part. Will start with the skin anyway, so no a huge problem initially (whenever I get around to actually painting!)

Cheers for the link for that guys army. Will have a look after I have been for a dump (thought you might like to know).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog   Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:07 pm

Enjoy....

What's the white stuff on their bases? Is that the glue or a putty? Looks like they've spuffed out of their trouser legs.
Back to top Go down
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog   Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:08 pm

LOL! Blu-tak. I want to base them after they have been painted but needed something to hold them in place whilst I painted them
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog   Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:08 pm

Check out this guy's army

Link is in the middle of the thread as I couldn't be arsed to go to page 1 and copy and paste the link
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog   Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:09 pm

Awesome - really love the Dryads.

The elves look great with that coppery red, but I do think you've got yer work cut out painting that colour!

Report this post
Back to top Go down
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog   Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:10 pm

Yeah - I think he has the right idea in painting them darker shades.

I like the idea of brighter, natural, colours, but not so sure as it would look good on miniatures
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog   Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:10 pm

Bumped to highlight sheer laziness.
Back to top Go down
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog   Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:11 pm

Ok, so I have done a bit of painting. Remarkable, I know!

Anyway, this is what I have done so far. The photo makes the two colours on the clothes look a lot more similar than they actually are. I might highlight the lower skirt with a bit more yellow in order to make it a bit brighter.

Can't decide what colour to do the shoulder pads and the pads that come out of the boots. Tried a bright yellow and a dark red with a severe orange highlight - which it currently is - (not so much of a highlight, but I wanted the edges to be a different, brighter, colour), but both options are a bit poo. I might try a green colour, but I don't have any green paints here and I'm not buying any until I get to England! Green doesn't really fit in a colour scheme designer (should be oranges and browns), but you do see some green in autumn IRL.

Cloaks and hood I will paint at the same time. The plan at the moment is for them to be a very deep red, to contrast some of the lighter shades I have used.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

Really nice that - how long did it take you? The highlights blend really well.

Reckon it's better to have a contrasting colour for the belt in the middle to break it up a bit? And maybe the hood too?

Looking forward to seeing how these turn out - gonna look brilliant..
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

Gotta ask - what colours did you use? Did you blend? I find red and oranges really difficult to highlight like that.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog   Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:22 pm

Those oranges and red are much nicer than a green scheme - tho maybe some dark green (more on the blue side than the yellow) sort of a spruce needle type colour might give you another contrating option?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog   Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:23 pm

You can't really see too well from that photo, but the belt is medium-shade brown and contrasts a bit more than it appears. I have since given the boots a few more washes so they now look a dark tan. I will probably do all the vembraces in the same dark tan colour, which will give them a leathery appearance (and also makes them relatively quick and easy to paint!).

I think I will do some areas green. This means I will have to sort through the miniatures and decide which ones I can paint now and which ones I will need to leave until I come back because I don't want all of them to have each item of clothing identically coloured - apart from the cloak.

The hoods are strange things. They don't look as if they are part of the clothes they wear, and when you put the cloak on the miniatures, they don't look like they are part of the cloaks either! Might need some serious green stuffing, but doing it after they have been painted might be difficult - and a pain.

At the moment, I am thinking for the cloaks and hoods a very deep red / burgundy colour, possibly with some bright orange pattern painted onto the edges (think little triangles, with the point inwards)

It has taken me a while to paint this one, but a lot of that was because I was undecided of what colours to use and where (the miniatures are bitches actually, loads of different layers of clothing) and waiting for the paint to dry.

I tend to paint in a layered style, rather than use blending, but I think I do end up blending from time to time. Basically I keep the paint very watered down so when you apply it you can 'colour it in' - a bit like using a felt-tip. Because the paint is so thin the colours underneath are still exposed, and as the highlights get less and less the previous colours show through and it kind of blends in.

For the lighter orange I used
  • the foundation paint Macharius Solar Orange for the basecoat,
  • two Scab Red washes (it's a paint so watered it down)
  • Macharius Solar Orange again
  • Couple of highlights adding a little bit of white

For the fiery orange (I intended it to be a bright orange, but it has come out fiery for some reason!)
  • Blazing Orange basecoat
  • two Blood Red washes (it's a paint so watered it down)
  • Blazing Orange again
  • Two or three highlights adding yellow
  • A final yellow only highlight on the edges

I wasn't too impressed with the foundation paint. I water the paints down before painting, but it still took about three coats before the basecoat covered the miniature.

I tried to do the wood of the bow how the bloke on the plog (linked somewhere in the forum) had done it. Basically, a dark grey, highlighted using bleached bone. Didn't come out too well, but I should probably have drybrushed it, rather than attempted to paint it. This miniature doesn't have much wood showing though, so not a huge problem.

And I have a light blue/grey (Space Wolf Grey) for a contrasting colour, which I want to use to tie the army together. I am a bit reluctant to use it on the miniatures as I like the idea of the Glade Guard blending in with their surroundings. The plan is to paint the standard the light grey and maybe a small item of clothing on the unit champion - as if to highlight to the others where they are
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog   Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:24 pm

Much prefer the autumnal? look. Have you decided how you are going to try basing them?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog   Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:25 pm

Cheers for that guide - I always find those colours tough to highlight well. You've done a great job.

Still reckon the middle belt thingy should be the same colour as the vambraces and boots to break it up a bit and give it that three points triangle thing they always go on about in the complimentary colours guide.

And what about leaving the hood and cloak black or a very dark brown for contrast?

Looking forward to seeing the standard/champion.
Back to top Go down
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog   Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:25 pm

Thought I would post a progress report...

Just about finished 9 of them now. I changed my mind the other day about the colours I was going to use. For the main clothing colour I was doing roughly a third orange, a third bright orange and the final third green. Green was going to be a spot colour on the minatures that had orange as their main clothing colour (shoulder / leg pads and pattern on some miniatures chests).

I decided that it would look a bit poo if I had some guys with green and decided to stick with using green as a spot colour. Wood Elves, imo, would be a camouflaged army, so having greens fluff wise wouldn't have been a problem. For the miniatures, I am not sure it would have looked so good having such a large area as the main item of clothing contrasting so much. Which is why I decided to stick with the spot colour.

That change of mind put me behind painting, so I have seven left to do, with three of those being the command squad. Once I have painted them all (minus the bits I need to do in England) I will paint the cloaks and hoods all at the same time, so that I can hopfully get them all the same colour.

I have been having issues with the paint drying out (been boiling hot here doesn't help!) and am considering buying one of those water mat thingys when I get back.

Oh, and I have a bit of touching up (the miniatres!) to do. I missed some bits of skin and I need to paint the bows.

Anyways...a photo. Trying to take half decent photos is practically impossible, so only one crappy one.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog   Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:27 pm

Quote :
been boiling hot here doesn't help!
Bastard! Crying or Very sad

They look really good, the colour looks very vibrant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Don

PostSubject: Re: Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog   Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:28 pm

I love the way you can theme a wood elf army like this, keep it up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog   Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:41 pm

Unk wrote:
Quote :
been boiling hot here doesn't help!
Bastard! Crying or Very sad

Been 20+ for the last couple of weeks. Supposed to be in the 30's this weekend. Summer at last!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

Nice weather? Forgotten what that's like.

Looking really good. And I'm with Don - nice to see a vibrantly coloured W-elf army for a change.

What colour are you going to do for the hoods? Couldn't quite tell from yer post. They look nice black actually.

Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

Foxy wrote:

I have been having issues with the paint drying out (been boiling hot here doesn't help!) and am considering buying one of those water mat thingys when I get back.

Worth just buying a pot of acrylic paint thinner? Only about £3 from a model/craft shop. Pays for itself in lack of wasted paint.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog   

Back to top Go down

Got Wood! A Wood Elven Plog
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next