A Tale of 5 Wargamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
A Tale of 5 Wargamers

Adventures in Wargaming - 5 very boring individuals record their exploits playing with little men. Favoured rules include (but are not limited to) WFB, WH40k & The Horus Heresy (30k), Epic, Bloodbowl, Infinity, Saga & Flames of War

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Imperial Fists - VII Legion

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Unk

Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 2:35 pm

Flipping heck, getting a bit carried away?
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 2:36 pm

Hehe. I don't think it's getting too carried away really (at least I don't think!) - for the Stone Gauntlet rite of war you need your two compulsory troop types as breachers, so the above is just that - two 15 man squads.

Not too OTT is it? I think it looks worse than it is. It just means I have the flexibility of 30 breachers and 20 tactical men to chop and change as compulsories, depending on my build. I would also like another tac squad with volkite chargers just for those militia mangling moments.

That said, I have thought about going SG mad and having Polux (storm shield), Templar Brethren (storm shields), phalanx wardens (more storm shields) and Cataphractii (thunder hammer/and yet more storm shields!) and having a whole T5 army!

Painting them all, on the other hand.....
Back to top Go down
https://taleof5wargamers.forumotion.co.uk
Don

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 2:41 pm

Thats a lot of figures Gilly!

I like your spraying write up, I'd never really thought about the variable pressure with it. The dark red at the bottom works really well too

Were you in the bath with the sprues when you were washing them....
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 2:42 pm

Yeah the variable pressure really just means it comes out thicker/wider, I guess. Just the same as how much you load your brush I 'spose. One thing to be wary of is at lower pressures the airbrush is much more likely to clog up as it's pushing the paint particles out at a much slower rate. Even Vallejo Air benefits from a bit of thinner mixed with it.

Have done a test breacher. It's not quite finished - need to tidy up some stuff (like the base) and matt spray it, but I think I like the scheme. The pics below are fairly rushed, so apologies, but you should get the idea:

I wanted one squad of my breachers to be a bit of a change from the yellow. I got inspired by this from the third heresy book:

Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 IF%20Pic%20Heresy_zpsc2cuekb6

...so I went silver.

Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 DSC_1023_zpsnkig6ibb

Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 DSC_1024_zpsy9olgifc

Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 DSC_1025_zpsxbxowhg6

Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 DSC_1027_zpsej6ksxeu

Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 DSC_1028_zpsryrgki4f

Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 DSC_1029_zpskgao2tuh

Now, as I say, it's all a bit rough (and the pics aren't focused properly) but you get the idea. Hopefully 15 of them will look alright en masse. Any ways I can improve them, let us know - I think I might tone down the damage/rust and the scratches on the shield when I come to do the others.
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 2:51 pm

Looks good. I think he needs a little more yellow on him though, possibly the full arm that holds his gun rather than just his shoulder pad.
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 3:57 pm

Yeah, I think you're right. I was worried about making them look too Iron Warrior-like.

Back to the airbrush then! I think I'll do the face of the right vambrace yellow too like the dude in the Heresy book. I might leave this guy as is, but do it for the others.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 3:59 pm

I'd agree with that too, bit more yellow. How difficult is it to pick out certain elements with the airbrush?
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 4:00 pm

I've put a little bit more yellow on the right vambrace. Don't want to go too much and lose the silver scheme - the idea is to take a bit of a break from painting all that yellow, so that's yer lot!- Still need to add the shield ('scuse quick pics):

Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 DSC_1022_zpsm06frwpt

A close up of the rusting:

Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 DSC_1021_zpskhcftbg0

Progress to date:

Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 DSC_1023_zpstz9y3nxa

Quote :
How difficult is it to pick out certain elements with the airbrush?

Not difficult at all - the marine above was all silver - I just went back over the arm with primer and yellow - I needed a slight touch up on the rims of the forearm pad, but that's more about my clumsy hand. It would depend on how good your airbrush is I guess - you can get some that spray fine enough to do an eyeball on a mini! If I had the money I'd get a better airbrush and do all my painting with it.

I have tried a bit of zenithal lighting with these - you can't really make it out on the pics, but most of the siver is sprayed from the top - the lower parts of the body have a lot more black on them. It kind of does the highlights for you.
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 4:01 pm

Your rust effects are awesome chap. can you get a flash of yellow on the shield?
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 4:02 pm

AK weathering rust streaks are awesome. Blob it on at the top of where you want it to run and when it's dried, run a stiff flat brush with a touch of white spirits on it down over the blob and hey presto. There's YouTube vids showing you how it's done.

Was thinking how to put some yellow on the shield (all people ever want is more bloody yellow!). Was gonna do it halved or chevroned but it looks like an Iron Warriors hazard marking. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 4:03 pm

Take a pic looking at the shield and I'll spray something on in photoshop?
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 4:08 pm

Here yer go - don't go overboard: it's got to be as simple as possible - I've got 15 of the buggers to paint!

Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 DSC_1021_zpsxi4dyebr
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 4:10 pm

Not sure about these tbh, maybe its just trying to hard to introduce yellow for the sake of it

I suppose the 2nd one feels about right

Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 Op3_zps0w8g4wkh
Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 Op4_zpsyozo3dzj
Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 Op2_zps83ueyv5r
Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 Op1_zpsqujoanuc
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 4:13 pm

Supaglue wrote:
Here yer go - don't go overboard: it;s got to be as simple as possible - I've got 15 of the buggers to paint!

Its only on the computer!! You dont really need to paint it...

2nd one looks good. Would be interested in seeing what a quartered one looks like..
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 4:14 pm

Well, I've gone against the advice and stuck with all black shields. The problem was, I think, for it to look right it would need to be halved with a diagonal division. That would have meant white transfers wouldn't have shown up on the yellow side and it was all a bit too much trouble.

So, I've got three breachers done so far:

Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 DSC_1026_zpsafsxtpuo

Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 DSC_1023_zpsquqpwzrf

Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 DSC_1027_zps7t0fkffp
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 4:16 pm

Looking really good them, do like that scheme for Imp Fists.
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 4:17 pm

Well, thanks to all concerned for the B-day pressies - they're finally all built! Just taken some kiwk-pics:

Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 DSC_1037

The Deimos Vindicator is pretty big - all that extra resin chunks it out a fair bit.

Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 DSC_1039

I've added an old boarding marine I've had for ages (he was already sprayed yellow when I got him - that's not my doing!) - he will be an extra man in the command squad. Plan to add one more as well at some point.

The Breacher at the end is a new one I've painted up -the only thing I've managed this week Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 4:23 pm

Impressive additions chap, the force must be getting pretty big now
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 4:24 pm

My OCD would not be able to cope with half on 25mm bases and half on 32mm! Breachers look good with that scheme though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Imperial Fists - VII Legion - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Imperial Fists - VII Legion
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2