A Tale of 5 Wargamers

Adventures in Wargaming - 5 very boring individuals record their exploits playing with little men. Favoured rules include (but are not limited to) WFB, WH40k & The Horus Heresy (30k), Epic, Bloodbowl, Infinity, Saga & Flames of War

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Imperial Fists - VII Legion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:42 pm

After some time of major wheeling & dealing on the 'Bay, I'm finally just about legal on a 30k army. At this stage, I need to use the Pride of the Legion Rite of War that allows me to use veteran and terminator squads as troop choices. It also means I can't have allies and there are VP penalties for losing squads, but needs must I'm afraid!

I'm not sure what direction I want them to go in at present - I would like a couple of breacher squads to be able to use the Stone Gauntlet Rite of War (basically +1T to all shielded units in coherency) and maybe some Phalanx Warders to go with them, but I also want to be able to chop and change now and then: a bit of a luxury with 30k armies, I fear. The dreams of drop pods may be some way off.....

Anyway, this is what I've got so far, awaiting painting:

My Praetor and Commander, Sallus Dess:

Unfortunately painted, but that can be remedied. you can see I've also popped an Iron Halo on him.

Next, my first 'troop' choice - Tartaros terminators - 'The Indominators' or Indomitum est.

I need to get a magnetised arm for the heavy flamer to allow a swap if needed and I also want a chainfist on one of the unit.

My other troop unit:

I got lucky with these, as they happened to have bolters, Vexillum, and a nuncio-vox as well as Imperial Fist bodies and shoulder pads, which saved me a right packet:

Gotta say, I love Mk III armour - they really seem to suit the defensive 'heavy' feel of the Fists. I plan to have most of my troops as Mk II & III eventually, but at the moment, I may as well use these as a veteran squad.

There is also some 'Fast' Attack support:

And a temporary Dedicated Transport - it's one of the very first rhinos from GW that I had knocking around. Not great and very small, but it will do until I have the £35 odd for a new 'old' one.

Finally, the last thing I've been working on, Mack the Knife himself, my Moritat. At first I thought it might not be something the Imperial Fists would have, but then I came to my senses! Of course they would - an individual on a personal penitence or crusade, taking it upon themselves to undergo lone murderous deeds and forlorn hopes, perfectly fits the masochistic side of the legion.

Nobody knows the details of Galvus Kreuz's fall from grace in the legion, but since the Uriel Campaign he has resided alone in a penitent cell, choosing to exist in a spartan manner akin to a hermit of old. Shunning all contact except to receive orders, Kreuz has become an iconic figure in the company, where his dark deeds upon the battlefield, although unconfirmed, have become stuff of legends, often exaggerated and nearly always whispered.

He's the Lord Executioner model converted (still a little bit of filling to do). I figured that due to his individuality, he would mix and match his armour to suit personal tastes, so he's in a modified Mk IV with a Mk III wreathed helmet (making a Heresy Mk V suit?). He's also covered in oaths of moments, to remind him of his past transgressions.

I had wanted him to have Volkite Serpenta pistols, but I'm not sure FW have even made them yet, so it was plasmas instead!

So, the force to date:

Next for the legion - well, pretty much everything, but I want to concentrate getting the squads up to a decent size and to be able to field troops without needing Pride of the Legion. I would also love a big vehicle (A Spartan?!) and a Dreadnought, but they're some way off.

And finally for now, my secret weapon for painting them:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://taleof5wargamers.forumotion.co.uk
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:45 pm

Blimey you have been busy. Love the moritat. What is the surface primer?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:46 pm

Just airbrush primer, although I am planning on a grey base prime, with white sprayed down from above to create highlights for when I do the yellow.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:46 pm

Looks impressive Gilly, looking forward to seeing how you get on with the air brush
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:47 pm

Hoping to get cracking on the paint job over the weekend, all being well.

In the meantime, I've been doing some more assembling, now my old skool missile launcher has arrived:

My actual veteran squad:

These will be an actual veteran squad to take over from the tac squad above. I decided to go with Mk IVs for these to make them stand out a bit from the line troops (which will be mostly in Mk IIIs). I've also mixed bits and bobs in as well, so some have pads of other marks of armour - it is either them taking preferred or cherished components of their older suits, or it could be them during a long campaign making do with what they can salvage or repair from the battlefield.

Anyway, a couple of close ups of the sergeant conversion. If you're the sarge of a vets squad, I reckon you've gotta be a tough nut, so you'd have a few bionic bits!

Need another 5 vets to complete the squad (although they can legally run with 5, I don't think small squads get very far in 30k).
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:48 pm

Don't bionic bits just mean he's too daft to avoid explosions, not that he's a tough nut?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:48 pm

Shhh! There might be Garro fans reading, in which case, you'll be needing bionics!
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:49 pm

In the words of Derek from Bad Taste:

"Suck my spinning steel, shithead!"

A relic contemptor with cyclone launcher and twin Kheres assault cannons - I can switch him between a standard or mortis variant, if I need air support.

Didn't know if I'd made a cock up buying this guy to start with - he was a 'Buy It Now' on ebay for £20. He was listed as 'body only' but the pic of the bag seemed to have all the bits in other than the weapons. I was panicking thinking I was gonna be lumped with just a dreadnought body and no legs (which are impossible to get hold of on their own). Luckily, it had legs, shoulders and head all in the FW bag like new!

I managed to win the rest (weapons) off ebay for a tenner. Have to say, it's probably the best GW/FW kit I've ever bought - almost everything is adjustable: there's two joints in the body, 3 in the arms, loads in the legs. You can get them doing pretty much anything pose-wise. I want another now - a close combat one that I can pose a bit more adventurously.

I just need to do a bit of green stuffing around the magnets and he's done:

For scale against my first batch of airbrushed men - It's huge!

The troops were airbrushed white, with a Red Hull undershade at the bottom of the legs to look like dirt/wear - it will look loads better when I get the washes on them. I sprayed Vallejo Air medium yellow for the top coat.

I meant to do a step-by-step guide as to what I did but I forgot to take snaps! Will have to do it on the next 5 I do.

In the meantime, for the record, my palette:

Note the Gloss varnish and oil paint. Thought I'd give it a bash....
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:49 pm

Let the arms race begin!

Looks good that. Got a sizeable force now already. Getting some painted done too, good man!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:52 pm

On a hobbygasm at the mo!
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:53 am

Good to see. Heresy era is very inspiring.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Don

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:54 am

cool, good idea to get different airbrush layers on. and that big thing does look bad ass!

did you cut the magnets into the resin?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:57 am

Don wrote:

...did you cut the magnets into the resin?

Yeah but I only had the big magnets so it took ages to cut a hole for it and even then it wouldn't go all the way in. It'll look fine when it's green stuffed and painted.
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:58 am

Hasty pics, I apologise in advance for the quality.

Latest updates:

Decided my vets will probably have the sniper special rule, so decide to pop some scopes on their bolters. And if they don't have the rule for a game, well they've just got access to some good gear like vets should!

Got some more scopes for the next batch when I get them.

Also, 5 more Mk IIIs for the tac squad (another ebay bargain, with FW bought IF pads):

Taking the squad size up to 15 - about what I think of as a good size. I'd obviously like 20, but that will have to wait.

Next, my chaplain in cataphractii armour (awaiting a power maul on his left hand!)

Before he took the drastic step of locking away his librarians, Dorn upheld the Sigilite's edict at Nikaea and implemented the chaplain program into his legion, selecting a hand-picked few for the task. Not only were those picked veterans of countless conflicts, but they were known for their unswerving loyalty to Dorn.

Brother Eilan Marner is one such veteran, seen here in stylised cataphractii armour and sporting a power maul, a weapon that would eventually find iconic status as the Crozius Arcanum.

Upon taking the chaplaincy, Marner was initially met with mistrust by his old comrades, who feared some kind of secret police. After the removal of psykers from the legion, Marner continued as a chaplain, working to maintain morale while staying vigilant for latent psychic ability from his brothers. His isolation from the troops he fought alongside only served to spur him on to ever greater feats of arms.

Upon his armour are countless oaths of moments - promises made to uphold the great Nikaean Decree. He also carries a register of the psykers within the Imperial Fist legion as a reminder to all of his duty. These parchments would later become purity seals for subsequent generations, revered by Astartes for millenia to come as holy relics from an icon of unshakeable faith and will that fought during an age when the Emperor still walked amongst mortal men
:

Finally, I finished my test trooper. Think I overdid the chipping, which is a shame as I think he looked pretty decent after the washes and grime weathering I did on him - I'll learn for the next one.

He also needs to have his tactical marking decal on his right pad:

Looks better in the flesh and a bit further away! The pics really don't do it justice - the laurel wreath hasn't come out very well either.

Anyway, hopefully it will work with 15 of them, on the battlefield. Next one I do will have a bit less in the way of weathering.

Stay tuned this week for the putting together of the final purchase (until I've got some more painted and some cash!).
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:00 pm

He looks really good. Base has come out well too.

Like the idea of the chaplain too, I didnt even realise you could take them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:01 pm

Yeah chaplains are in the list. Had to jig the fluff a bit though coz Dorn bangs up - so to speak - his librarians (love that bit in the Garro audio dramas, you think Dorn is just being an asshole as per but you find out he hates doing it but is keeping them pure for the final reckoning - and the fact the librarians all trust in his reasons).
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:03 pm

Final assembly of the ebay bargains I got:

The little bit lying in the middle of them on the table is a breacher charge. Not where I should stick it on the sarge.

I love these breachers - the figures look really heavy. I got them on 32mm bases too, to give them an impression of being bulkier than normal marines.

The Sarge's head is blu-tacked on as I'm waiting for an un-helmeted command head from the Ultramarines for his bonce. All the shields are tacked on too at the moment as painting them separately will be a lot easier.

Need another 10 of these somewhere down the line and I can use the Stone Gauntlet Rite of War and get me +1 Toughness! That said, if I take these alongside my tac squad, I don't need to have Pride of the Legion, which could free me up for the Orbital Assault Rite of War maybe? Hmm, decisions....

I've also done some painting, but its not progress that you'd really notice as it's just light washes and the bases. Will pop up pics when I have significant progress.
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:04 pm

Full breacher squad too? Blimey! Dreading that Stone Gauntlet formation..

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:05 pm

Not keeping up with the pace Dan is setting, but he's shamed me into popping up progress.... 2 men done!:

It's the black lining that takes ages! I should be speeding these up now I know what I need to do.

The power maul arrived for the chaplain:

As did the Ultramarine head for the Breacher sarge. Really pleased with this as I think he looks like Sigismund!

Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:08 pm

They have come out really well. Transfers look great on them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:12 pm

Really regret getting the Fist FW shoulder pads - transfers are sooo much quicker.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:17 pm

Looking great Gilly, could do with a proper run down on the basing technique - you have really nailed it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:18 pm

I'll do a full step by step of how I did things to remind myself how I did stuff, the next batch I do.

To be honest, I'd be a bit embarrassed about a guide how to do the base, it's so easy. Blob the Agrellan earth on. Leave it to dry. Black wash. Drybrush. Done. And you could happily leave out the wash and drybrush stages!

It's good stuff once you get the thickness right - it dries very hard (even though it looks crumbly) and you can paint it any colour you want.

Vallejo do a similar thing but theirs is just the agent that creates the crackle so you can mix it with any paint for the same effect. It's a bit more tricky to use though as you have to get the amounts right.
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:30 pm

Right, now I'm on to my next batch, I'll do a step by step guide to the painting of the Fists - mainly for assisting my own memory (I already forgot this week which of my yellows I was using to basecoat the figures in!), but if, along the way, somebody gets some use out of this guide, then all to the good! It will also show you my progress as I go.

Step 1:

Soak the sprues/bits in warm soapy water. The resin process often throws up a an oily grease sheen onto the models, that can hinder the adherence of glue and paint. Normally it's not a problem, but better to give the figures a wash just to make sure. I also give them a very gentle scrub with a toothbrush just to get all the crooks and nannies.

This would also be a good time to utilise the warm water and straighten out any bendy bits you have - the warm water should soften the resin enough to make it a little malleable. If you can't reshape something, I'm afraid it's the heat gun for you!).

Anyway no pic really needed for this.

Top Amateurish tip: The FW bags make a good net to pop all your stuff in to keep it together while washing. Then, just put a tiny hole in the bottom of it when you're done to let the water out (just make sure the hole is smaller than yer bits! (as Byron said to Shelley across the breakfast table)). It saves doing what I did - washing the stuff and seeing a little bit that had come off the sprue slowly gliding down the plughole when I emptied the water.....

Step 2:

Undecoating/Primer - I airbrush this at quite a high Psi (about 20-25 to speed it up) and waft the airbrush over the figure. The obvious aim is for an even coat all over. I'm not using the grey primer with white highlights for the men as they'd tale ages (saving that along with oil pin washes, for the vehicles) - I'm just using the vallejo white airbrush primer (pictured earlier in the thread).

Step 3:

Now I add a gentle lowlight of Vallejo air Red Hull (think I already made a shit Emu joke, so I'll leave that to one side) around the legs to come through the yellow basecoat and look like dirt/wear. From here on, the pressure on the airbrush is about 12-15 psi, depending on how much of a rush I'm in:

You can probably get the same/better effect using washes or powders, but this is far quicker. It would be fine to skip though. Half the time, with my lack of skill, it looks crap anyway!

Step 4:

Next up, the basecoat. I use Vallejo air Golden Yellow for this. An even covering all over, except for where the red hull is showing through - less of a yellow covering is needed there to fade into the stronger red:

(sorry, the front pic came out all blurry).

It should leave you looking something like this:

I should point out that the yellow looks a bit deeper/orangey in these shots as the light I am spraying by is not my daylight lamp but a reading lamp that is slightly tinged.

Step 5:

Base and base edge: To be continued!
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:32 pm

Mmmmm. These are no ordinary breacher squads. These are IF finest, Stone Gauntlet, Toughness 5, breacher squads....

Second sarge is without a head and arm as I'm awaiting some bits for him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Fists - VII Legion   

Back to top Go down

Imperial Fists - VII Legion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next