A Tale of 5 Wargamers

Adventures in Wargaming - 5 very boring individuals record their exploits playing with little men. Favoured rules include (but are not limited to) WFB, WH40k & The Horus Heresy (30k), Epic, Bloodbowl, Infinity, Saga & Flames of War

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:07 pm

I'd always fancied an undead army and trying out Vampire Counts.  A year or two I ago, I dug out a load of notes that I had done for a campaign that we were going to do but never really got off the ground.  I couldn't remember writing half of it (I'll put it all up in the battle reports when I get a sec - it might inspire some new scenarios or whatever), but when I made the NPC vampire that I had lined up to cause the player factions problems, I knew I'd want to get an army based on it.

I think we had one turn of the campaign and Don had sent out some giant eagles as scouts.  Only one returned because this guy got the other one as it flew over the Forest!

Here's the fluff I'd written for the vamp before the campaign:

Votchnaya is undoutedly one of the most powerful creatures to have walked the ancient and secluded lands of the Couldron [the fictional setting for the campaign - a giant asteroid crater plain in the Border Princes]

He was one of the first nobles of Strigos to be given the eternal kiss by Ushoran and subsequently became one of his finest generals.

However, with the fall of the city against the forces of light, the vampire overlords were hunted wherever they fled. First by humans and elves and then by beastmen and goblinoids, and, in the aftermath of the conflict, by their own kin, who suspected treachery.

For centuries Votchnaya was pursued by Von Carstein vampires through the dusty Tilean states, until, severely wounded and in immense pain, he was caught and tortured.  Being ensnared by his Von Carstein brethren in bestial fashion hastened the breakdown of Votchnaya's mind and twisted his body beyond recognition.

Eventually, a retinue of troops still loyal to Votchnaya executed a rescue and freed the vampire, who exacted an enraged slaughter in vindication.  Votchnaya during this period, drank the blood of a number of defeated Von Carsteins, that added a renewed power and will to his ravaged body and mind.

With his retinue staunchly by his side, Votchnaya fled through Tilea, over the Giant's Spine Mountains and into the area now know as the Couldron.

Initially, he was to find little rest.  He fought and lost pitched battles with the elves and dwarfs of the area and the harried and brow-beaten vampire took refuge in the great forest to the south.    

Votchnaya resided for centuries in the forest, slowly regaining some of his former strength by hunting beastmen and other denizens in the deepest parts of the wood.   His loyal retainers, forced to eat the tainted flesh of chaos and goblinoid beasts, gradually degenerated from proud warriors into ghoulish, hollow caricatures.  This sham royal court descended into nothing more than a pack of gibbering beasts.

Gradually, Votchnaya recovered some of his lucidity and struck back at the elves residing in the forest and razed their treetop settlements.  Nothing more was heard of these elves again by their kin in the north. With the elves usurped from the forest, creatures that are only whispered about by good folk crept out of the dark places and into the copses and glades.   The vampire slowly became stuff of legend, always lurking in the corners of the eyes of the races that passed through his kingdom.

The Dark Forest is now a place of human outlaws and brigands, beastmen and goblins. And of course, Votchnaya.  Although greatly reduced in size since the arrival of humans to the Couldron, the forest remains a massive labyrinth of ancient trees and shadows.  Fortified human settlements skirt the Dark Forest today to mill the lumber it provides.  These villages and trading posts have formed a rough alliance for trade and protection, known as ‘The Hamlet League’ and owe fealty to nobody except their council of elders.  These woodsmen know full well the dangers of the forest and are well versed in the tales of disappeared loggers and their families.  Many of these rumours are put down to other dark creatures that stalk the darkness, but even now the name of ‘Old Man Nick’ and ‘The Watcher’ are still part of their folklore.  A goat and other sacrifices are still left tethered at the fringes of the forest every winter solstice in the hope of appeasing Old Nick’s appetite and sparing the villages for another year.  Even the beastmen and goblins have names for Votchnaya that are uttered in hushed, fearful tones amongst their kind.

At present, Votchnaya waits deep in his sylvan realm with his ever degenerating pack of ghouls who squabble, hunt, eat and fornicate; living their twisted lives in service to their liege.

In times of danger or threat Votchnaya can call upon the old proud warriors of his personal retinue who fell in the woods during the early days, becoming a silent and macabre grave guard around him.  The victims of Votchnaya that have perished in the forest provide other zombie and skeletal retinues at his will.  

Despite the vampire being despised by all others, including his own kind, some Strigany peasant gypsies fled with Votchnaya’s army into the forest.  Their descendants remain to this day as nomadic warrior tribes, eking a survival in small warbands on the boundaries of the forest, awaiting the day their master returns.....

Votchnaya – Lord of Dark Forest – 465 pts (7th Ed rules)
M WS BS S T I A LD Save
4   8    6   5  5  8  5  10  4+ Ward when in Dark Forest
Lvl 3 Spellcaster
Infinite Hatred
Curse of the Revenant (Regeneration)
Ancient Symbiosis (Votchnaya has spent many centuries in the Dark Forest.  It is a place of magic and chaos and all things evil.  The vampire has gradually become part of the fabric of the woodland itself, bestowing him with abilities to control its environment.  These abilities are represented as follows, and can only be used when Votchnaya fights within the confines of the Dark Forest or one square adjacent to it.

Bat form:  Can fly
Summon Ghouls:  Once per game can summon anywhere on the battlefield D3 +2 ghouls (cannot be dispelled)
Creeping Vines:  a piece of woodland no bigger than 6”x6” secretly decided at the beginning of the game is alive with Votchnaya’s will. The flora and fauna in that area turn against any enemy unit within that zone, causing d6 S3 hits at the start of any movement phase they remain in it).  

So there we go – a pre made history!  If I’m going to recreate the army, I obviously want a Strigoi style general, and I’ll be aiming for the most appropriate troop types – bats, swarms, ghouls, zombs, wolves and skellies over cavalry and such like (a black coach in a wood?!).  Obviously, as I expand the army, I’ll add the glamorous stuff, but for now, I’ll stick with the narrative I’ve set myself.

First up.... a skeleton regiment!

Last edited by Supaglue on Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://taleof5wargamers.forumotion.co.uk
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:10 pm

Here's my first batch of skeletons.  They're still not finished properly, but I'll tidy up the bits and bobs after.  I may have to change them a little bit - I was trying to put some movement into the unit by dropping the spears towards the front ranks, but it's made it difficult to line up against an opposing unit!

Excuse the pics - I'm using this as an excuse to work out how to use the new camera we got from the burglary insurance:

Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:36 pm

I did those skeletons a few months ago. The only problem was, when I've come back to paint the next batch, I completely forgot how I painted them! I think I did bleached bone with a brown ink wash, but none of my test runs have produced the same results. It's a shame as, whilst looking messy, they also look dirty and discoloured.

I've painted a second batch of 10 now but they look a different colour to the old ones!

As you can see, I've changed the shields and bought the GW coffin lids. Much happier with the way they look, so I'll change the old ones' shields to match. I was debating whether to paint the lids a black, but this to me looks more suited to a poorer, rural based army.

Although these look different to the other skellies, I think they'll fit in well when the all shields are changed. I'll update pics when they're done. Another 10 to go for a unit of 40!

The technique I used for them was:

Black undercoat. Scorched earth basecoat, drybrushed. A drybrush of bestial brown. Drybrush of bleached bone up till it looks right. Piece o'cake!

The base is very similar: black with drybrushed scorched earth, vomit brown and a careful drybrush of bleached bone. The base being similar to the figure's colour is useful for a few reasons - it makes tidying up after drybrushing alot easier, it's quicker and uses the same paints but it also makes it look earthier - like the skellies have just come out of the ground and are the same colour. The wood of the coffin lid hopefully adds to that drab tone.

(Shield was black, bestial brown drybrush, Khommando Khaki drybrush and then a very fine edging of bleached bone).

On the weapons, I have tried using a bit of MIG rusting pigment - powdered stuff I got from a model shop for airfix models. You just brush on the powder, brush off to suit and seal it with alcohol or matt varnsih. Not sure it works really. This sword was the best of the attempts - guess it's me needing to practise with it.

Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:36 pm

As well as the skeletons, I've also managed to covert a strigoi vamp (the colour shceme is a trail run. I wanted to make all the heroes stand out from the drabness of the rank and file, so I'm planning on raising them on their bases so that they catch the eye).

Whilst not finished (claws and spines need doing), I'm not sure if my colour scheme does it justice:

Not a great photo... but I like the shadow he casts! It was the bottom half of a Heresey Miniatures' Lurking Leaper cut off at the torso with the arms of a GW strigoi (took some sawing, I can tell you!) and green stuff to make the upper body and to attach the strig figure's neck & head. The putty was tough to use and my sculpting is poor but some of the imperfections have made his back look disfigured and oversized (compared to his smaller legs). It actually looks ok and suits a pumped bestial vampire that's been feeding off chaos beastmen. Not sure if he;s Votchnaya himself yet or whether I can do something better.

Any suggestions on how to paint him gratefully received. I'll get a pic of him in me skellies when I've finished them.

I also couldn't resist knocking up a quick Skeletal Steed to see how they look:

I've got 5 of the the old GW knights and a Wight Lord I plan to use, but I will get some Mantic ones later on to see how they mix n' match. Cavalry isn't really suited to my army at the mo, so I'll leave off them till I'm a bit more built up with infantry.

I plan to model the bases a bit for the cavalry, so they can be a treat when I've done more core troops. I plan to put a bit of grass on the bases and make puddles and reeds to look like marshland. The idea is to make the fast advance troops have bases that have vegetation and grass on them, so they contrast with the foot troops, whose bases are barren and earthy looking, to show that things are dying underfoot as the main army advances.

Right, so projects for the next few weeks:

Completely finish 20 new skellies with coffin shields (inc standard),
Paint 3/4 Spirit host bases (I've started on these and will post progress pics soon),
Glue up zombie regiment.

And next payday purchases:

3 bat swarms
Stuff for spirit host bases
Magnets set (!) and slide bases to fit em to.
Another 16 coffin lids to go on the old skellies and hopefully complete the skelly unit.

I was sorely tempted to go for a grave guard unit after mine and Dan's successes with them in the last campaign - maybe the mantic ones... but I think I'm gonna hold off till I've got some more core units done.
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:37 pm

Zombies are glued up! The fresh bodies of Dark Forest are ready to rise once again!

I'll pop up a pic of the unit when I've got a slide tray for them that fits (!) and I've undercoated them all. I think with all figures, including a couple of older metals, fillers and the Mordheim zombie town cryer as my musician, they come to 54 models. Wierdly, I can still make up 3 more models from the Mantic zombie sprue, so I'll get some spare bases for them next order I make there.

It's probably rare that I take this many zombies in one unit, but a few successful summoning casts and it's not beyond the realms of possibility to get 50+ Zs shambling around.

Whilst I'm here, I had a go at painting a wraith a while back, fairly easy really as the colour scheme is black and white (I wanted a white skeleton for these rather than a brownish one like the skellie troops). Also in this snap is a zombie filler - easy enough to make from the GW Z sprue: just a gravestone and a hand! It looks a bit lighter IRL!

Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:37 pm

I've also been fiddling with an old Wight Lord (ooer) as a possible champion/hero for my Grave Guard, when I get them. He's a small figure as he's ancient GW, but I've always liked him, even if the moulding is a bit dodgy.

I'll be keeping the theme of raising the heroes above the rank and file with this - I've painted and based the rock for him to float above, and it looks alright. I've seen some poison ivy modelling stuff in the model shop, so I'll get that climbing all over the rock at a later date.

You'll have to use your imagination with this pic (the thumb is not part of his Wight Blade...) - I've not pinned him to the base yet and I was trying out some painting techniques - notably the dust pigments on his cloak, which I don't think will work even when done properly.

I think mixing realistic airfix style models' techniques with the more garish/cartoonish miniatures we paint doesn't seem to look right somehow (Maybe it'll be better for 40k stuff). A bit like if I used a twig as a tree on a base - it could look like a tree for all the world in shape, but the colours are just too subtle against a miniature. Or maybe I'm just talking crap?

Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:39 pm

Looking good so far. Promise I will start mine over the weekend.

Oh, and if you do plan on ordering anything, let me know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:40 pm

Right, zombies are all glued and half undercoated. I'll pop a pic of them in their gory glory when they're done and their magnetic basing stuff has arrived.

Been slacking on completing the skeletons - I still have about 4 to do and then do the shields, but they're my next target for this week.

Purchases have also been limited because of a lack of cash! Most of the budget has gone on a pin vice/drill, a modular slide base, a few paints and some magnetic basing. The bat swarms are gonna have to wait till next month I'm afraid....

So I've been forging ahead with my spirit hosts. I've decided to strip them down to 2 (and maybe even 1) figures on a base, so that they go further. I plan to get 5 bases in the end but I'll be happy at the moment with 3 or 4. It means that to fill out the base I'll have to model the space out a bit.

My first two attempts are:

and reverse:

The left ones are green washed that makes 'em stand out as ethereal, the ones on the right are done using GW's guide to painting the twighlight nazgul.

The left base has casualty empire miniatures on it. I plan to paint the one casualty in browns and greens like a woodsman, to fit the fluff and the other casualty in Nuln's black colours to represent Sam's men! Razz

The base of the right model is two mounds of green stuff made to look like freshly dug graves. It looks better than the picture shows I think, as it doesn't really capture the mounds.

The question is.. which style should I go for? Can't decide............
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:43 pm

Whilst waiting to see which style you guys prefer on my hosts, I may as well put up the other bits 'n bobs I've been doing.

I'm getting through a mounted necromancer (it's technically a necrarch I think, but I'll probably use it as a necromancer). It's an old miniature I got off ebay. I've also made a start on the cavalry Wight Lord's mount - as I've said in previous posts, I'm going for bases that makes them look like they're moving through marshland, so hopefully the pic shows the reeds and little pool I've put on it.

And now I've got me drill, I've gone pinning mad! I've fixed up that Wight Lord on foot, who I plan to lead me Grave Guard:

I just need to sort out that poison ivy crawling up thge rock and get round to painting him

Finally, the trees I ordered from Zussy Miniatures came, all the way from New York State. They're weird - a kind of compacted plastic powder. Really tough but really light. They feel like plaster of paris. Anyway, I'm going to be using one of the trees for a bat swarm base I've been thinking of, but I decided I may as well use another one on my spirit hosts too. I think it might be a bit big though - have I gone too far do you reckon?:

Obviously the bits are just stuck on temporarily to give you an idea of the plan - I'm sure they'll look a bit better when properly modelled. Think it looks ok? Not sure if I should put another spirit model on it? Might make it look too busy and cramped. Need input!
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:44 pm

1 per base is fine. I like the look of the last one as well, fits with their overall theme. I would go with the green wash colour, it's what I will be using, looks really good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:48 pm

Cool, that's one for green wash! I got the technique from the Invocation Magazine (issue 6) but I can remember it easily enough if you haven't got it.

Not sure about leaving the bottom black either. It's supposed to look like they're forming from black nothingness and becoming more formed as they go up, but I'm not sure. It might just be making them look like lollipops!

I'll go for one spirit then on that tree one - means I've got two more for another base Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:44 am

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat460024a&prodId=prod1080027
New Necromancer figure for lord of the rings could be a good vampire or necromancer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:45 am

That looks pretty good that. Wonder how big he looks next to normal men
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:45 am

Was thinking that - might pop into GW and see what it looks like IRL. Looks ace in the photo though.
Back to top Go down
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:07 pm

Well, I've been a bit slack this month and money being tight has meant I've had to slow down on me buying. I've also run out of black undercoat, so roll on payday!

First off - me zombies in all their glory, on a horde sized movement tray, part based and undecoated:

The mantic ones seemed to have fitted in ok - they might show up a bit when the bases are painted as they have more surface area. I'm planning to paint them half and half two colour shades for their skin (that is, 25 one skin shade, 25 another, not two tone on each model!) - reckon that will work? I don't want them to all look the same skin tone, but I also want to keep them tied together and be easy to paint.

They're all magnetised too - proof!:

('scuse painted thumb...)

I'm also really near to finishing me bonies with the coffin shields:

16 down, 3 to go, plus me standard bearer conversion (a bit dark this pic):

Then I've got to get more coffin lids and swap the old shields off the other 20 skellies. I'll also need to give all the old ones a fresh bleached bone in an attempt to try and get them the same colour! Hopefully they wont need to be repainted.

I've also more or less finished me spirit hosts (just gotta paint the dead bodies on the last base). Got em all magnetised too but I've not put em on their movement tray yet as I've not been able to spray it:

Draw an LOS through that!

I don't think I'm doing myself any favours with close up shots! I am pleased with the skin on the hanging man though - I'm gonna use that as one of the two colours for the zombies (the other colour will be a blue).

Do yer reckon I should go with some static grass clumps on the bases? Just to make it a bit more interesting?

No prizes for guessing where they're heading! It kinda suits the army's background too as Nuln is in the south (and it's the colours of the empire armies I'll be fighting!).

So next month, I need to finish the skeleton regiment properly, finish the spirit host and make headway on my zombies.

I've already planned my purchases:

• Varghulf conversion (got a plan for this)
  • 3 bat swarms
  • the extra 16 coffin lids
  • some conversion bits n bobs for me general
  • Black spray!
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:08 pm

Very nice. Lot of dead meat there...

Love the idea of a different death scene for each host.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:24 pm

They look damn good. Love the coffin shields - they add a really nice touch.

Spirit hosts look amazing too. Better watch out, Sam. They are coming to get you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:25 pm

Whew – not posted for a while, but I’ve not been slacking. I’ve mostly been doing modelling over painting.

First up though, I have painted a test zombie:

I knocked it together really quickly. Not sure if the colour works or not – what d’ya reckon? Like I said on a previous post, I’m planning to paint 10 of these then ten blue and see how they mix in together as a unit. Let me know if the colour doesn’t look right as I’m halfway through the batch of the first 5.

Also up this week, my Varghulf, Tzlo:

Votchnaya did not produce many gets. Those that he did he often consumed himself. The last of his offspring was made just before his fall at the hands of the Von Carsteins.

His mind and powers of reasoning already frayed, Votchnaya, in his grip of madness, thought producing an army of his progenies would defeat his enemies.

He chose one of his youngest lieutenants to receive the gift of un-life. This brash, reckless ingrate was never the personality to receive such power, and the young thrall quickly blundered and found himself trapped and cornered by the Von Carsteins hunting Votchnaya.

He was taken, like his master, into confinement where he was tortured and hurt in unimaginable ways, both physically and mentally. Lacking the willpower of his creator, his mind and body were quickly broken down and disfigured.

The shapeshifting powers that were his virtue soon became his prison, as he became trapped in his dire wolf form. Slowly rotting from within thanks to the alchemical concoctions he had been forced to imbibe by the Von Carsteins, the young vampire was utterly undone and any vestige of his once brash personality was extinguished. From then on, he became nothing more than a wrathful, savage animal.

When the raid to rescue Votchnaya took place, what was left of the thrall escaped also, surviving on the fringes of the fleeing retinue of his master, picking off scraps and rodents for the barest of sustenance.

Arriving at the Dark Forest crazed with hunger, the thrall hid himself in the darkest depths of the forest, avoiding contact with others. Eventually, his path and Votchnaya’s crossed again. Votchnaya cunningly trapped the beast and tethered him – physically and magically – in one of the remotest of the barrows that are scattered through the forest.

And it is here that he remains still – shackled underground, nesting upon a mound of skulls of treasure hunters and adventurers foolish enough to trespass into his subterranean lair. Yet even now, some bestial cunning remains in the creature and he bides his time, constantly testing his binds in the hope of escape so that he can slake his hatred in a blur of rage upon the world above.

There is no one now left to remember the thrall’s original name, but the strigany speak of him still in hushed and fearful tones in their legends and fables, where he is known as Tzlo (spelt зло in the old Strigos language), which means simply: ‘evil’.

He’s a Reaper miniature, stuck onto a skull mound on a 40mm base. You’ll notice that the wooden beam he is standing on has rope around it. I’m planning on getting that modelling rope I bought and trailing it from the beam up and around his arm and to a chain on his nose to make it look like he is shackled down.

As you can see, I’m in the middle of base coating. I’m not sure what colour to paint his skin and raggedy fur. I was thinking of maybe using the same skin colour as me zombies for a rotting flesh effect and just doing the fur black/grey, but I’m not sure if that will all go together. Any suggestions gratefully received!

And now onto these:

The huge bats of the Dark Forest are legion in number. By day, they slumber in the dark places of the wood – in caves and tree hollows, in thickets and long forgotten ruins. There they stay until nightfall, when the dark mass of their number rise out of their roosts to hunt…..

These are also reaper miniatures. The two swarms to the left and right are the actual miniature – I stuck a skull face off a spare skellie head on the one gravestone to distinguish it from the other one. As well as that, the bats themselves can be bought individually from Reaper. So I ordered about 30 of the buggers and shaped and glued each one individually onto the standard swarm base to make them both look discrete shapes and differentiate them from one another. Hopefully it works.

With the rest of the loose bats (sounds like a daytime tv show), I got another of the Zussy trees I had ordered and hollowed it out to make it look like the bats were flying out of the tree stump.

I’m pretty pleased with how they’ve come out – I certainly think they’re more swarm-like than those crappy GW efforts!

I just wish now bats were any good in the game. They’re a core troop choice that doesn’t count as a part of your core expenditure! And apart from flying, they’re 20 odd pts more than 5 skeletons and can’t have rank bonuses or champions. Still, I’m determined to use them at some stage....

And last but certainly not least – he’s huge, he’s over the top, but I don’t care – he’s my general!

Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest, launches himself into the air on a wave of summoned skeletons….

He took me ages to do – he’s a Heresy miniature atop a Privateer Press Boneswarm. It’s all metal and weighs a ton, but I’ve managed to magnetise the base so it should stay firm in-game. It also ranks up pretty well believe it or not, even with spearmen!

Here’s an idea of the scale:

He fits my theme of raised characters, and sits nicely above the rank and file. The bones I’ll do the same colour as me skellie regiments, but I’m at a loss as to what colour to paint him. I wish I could paint well. I need a colour that will look effective but be relatively easy for me to paint. Stuck again on this so any suggestions would be really helpful.

So, next payday, it's going to be pretty quiet!

• I need 16 more GW coffin shields for me old skeletons
  • Another rider for my 'secret' unit!
  • some ghouls (hopefully Dan's if he's selling!), to start me ghoul unit off.
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:32 pm

Wowzers!

Someones been a bit sneaky. I love the general, will look very imposing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:48 pm

They look great, mon. Absolutely love the bat swarms. As you mention, they actually look like a swarm that's going to overrun you.

The general is pretty damn amazing as well. Great idea how you have lifted him above everyone - he's going to stand out really well (perhaps not the best idea for a vampire army!). Colour-wise, maybe paint him some kind of a light shade and then add a wash. Thinking of something like bleached bone, couple of highlights to a very think skull white and then wash it with a slightly watered down purple wash. Then maybe a watered down yellow paint too as a final glaze.

Obviously give it plenty of drying time in between washes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:49 pm

Hmm, cheers for that - I quite fancied doing something purpley for him. It'll have to be something that stands out against the skeletons.

I quite fancy this kind of colour but I bet it's really difficult to do with the red:

Back to top Go down
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:49 pm

Aye - that looks nice.

Maybe some kind of a purple colour for his body and then a similar, but much lighter, shade for his wings - so that it looks like it is stretched skin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:50 pm

Well, not that much to post up coz I've been slacking for the last week or two.

My skeletons are almost done, just got a few bits n bobs to do and sort them out a movement tray. I'll put up pics of em when the unit is completed.

I have managed to paint up the Wight Lord. I thought I'd experiment a bit and make the highlights harsher so at tabletop to eye level it looks more striking. The closer you get though, the more the effect is lost and it just looks a bit of a mess. Think it would make a unit stand out though.

I got the idea from an old White Dwarf where they leave the black basecoat on the folds of a cloak and do stark drybrushes with the black still showing.

I also tested out me new poison ivy foliage I got from Army Painter. It's decent enough - the ivy itself looks good, but its very fragile, bits of leaves keep falling off it if you shake it, so I'm not sure how to keep it on - I might have to spray varnish it. I also made the mistake of using superglue to fix it, which meant it clumped up a bit funny and was hard to position properly. It also dries shiny.

Ah well, live and learn.

I was going to make him a cairn wraith but I've decided he'll be a Wight Lord for the Grave Guard.

His original sword was tiny so I cut it off and swapped it for a sickle from the plastic skellie sprue. Think it looks suitably nasty. I was also trying to get a glowing blue effect for it - I wanted to test it out as a colour for the killing blow blades of the GG. Not sure it works, but I think I know how to make it a bit better next attempt.

And a close up of the ivy:

I've now doubled my number of painted zombies.... to, er..... two.

I've really gotta pull me finger out with these!

Now I've got the ivy, I can also add some finishing touches to the spirit hosts:

Done a bit more on the varghulf too. I've made the tether to his arm, but when I've painted a bit more I'm gonna do another one from the pole up to his nose and put a ring in it.

So when payday comes around I've got to grab some magnets for the skeletons, buy some dire wolves and get to painting my cairn wraith unit, as well as carrying on with this lot....
Back to top Go down
Unk

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:51 pm

Looks good that. Interested to see how the Vargulf turns out too.

that ivy looks great too, very atmospheric.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Supaglue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:52 pm

Pics don't do the Varghulf much justice, but it's still early doors yet.  Not sure if the greeny rotting skin will go with the blooded muscle I intend to paint.

The ivy is useful - along with the bases, it helps tie in all the units together.  I just gotta resist the temptation to overdo it and plaster it everywhere.   Reckon it'd look good on some Wood Elf bases too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest   

Back to top Go down

Vampire Count Army of Votchnaya, Lord of Dark Forest
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next